Original Edition - Chapter 16: Peanut Butter and Jelly

Start from the beginning

The urge to find a pack was starting to scratch at the back of my brain. It was like a subtle itch at first, and now it's more present. But I wasn't ready for that, not yet it least. I wasn't ready to leave Levi or Derek, and just thinking about that future made my heart break.

I needed Levi. It was his tough love that I never knew I needed.

We were walking to a clearing, just Levi and I. Lander apparently needed Liam for the day. It was nice to have Levi to myself again, well until he would start griping, but even that drew a smile from my lips.

We found the clearing. It was surrounded by tall trees that let sunlight blanket it. There was soft green grass on the ground and a few white wildflowers. My wolf wanted to lay in the sun and roll in the grass so she could feel the warmth of its rays on her belly. It was tempting.

"What are we doing here?"

Levi pulled his shirt off and cracked his neck. "We are going to spar girl. My father used to take me here all the time and beat my ass, I figured it was time to do the same with you."

My wolf stirred a bit. She gave Levi a long look before deciding that it would not be best if we showed him our teeth, yet. "Is that supposed to be encouraging or?"

Levi chuckled a bit while he pulled his shoes off. "I suppose it means your ready for a proper ass beating, now take off your shoes, girl."

I groaned a bit and tried to push back the inner dread that wanted to creep up. My wolf was for some odd reason mildly confident. She wanted a chance to show our alpha that we were not a weakling, that we had been learning and listening over the summer. She aimed to please.

The whole notion made me roll my eyes at her. Pushover.

"You know, one of these days I'll be the one giving you an ass beating."

Levi just let out a hearty laugh before walking into the middle of the small clearing. "I highly doubt that Charlie girl."

I let out a challenging growl. I felt the blood of my wolf start to heat up. She wanted to be taken seriously; she wanted to show this male that we were not a little girl–that we were in fact, a worthy alpha female.

I kicked off my sneakers and stalked towards him. The warm sun felt good on my skin; on my legs that I decided to display today–Derek had gotten me running shorts.

My wolf licked her lips at the challenge, it had been too long since I truly let her out; let her out so she could feed the bloodlust that lingered in us. A bloodlust that I doubted would be settled until I had Marcus' head.

Levi just watched me amusingly. I could see the wolf behind his eyes; the male that thought the female before him was playing some cute game.

But this wasn't a game.

I let out a sharp growl and looked up at him as the fur started to rise on my neck. "Are you just going to stand there, or are you going to give me a proper ass beating."

Levi's laugh only infuriated me and pissed my wolf the hell off. Before my better judgment could kick in, she pushed us forward. I was lunging towards him at full force with the anger of my wolf powering me.

Levi easily caught me and used the momentum to throw me hard on the ground. It hurt, but I quickly recovered and shot out my leg to nail him in the shin.

He hissed and dived at me. His wolf was out to play, and he wanted to make me his personal rag doll.

My beast wasn't going to have that.

I rolled away then sat up and nailed him in his kidney. He snarled at me but I jumped backward and crouched down; ready to spring at him or shift depending on his next move.