11 years; Josh and Tobi

"So this is the end then."

Josh's words hung in the air, creating a tense feeling in the room. Tobi didn't feel like commenting back, and instead continued to pack his bag.
Toothbrush, charger, laptop, clothes, wallet, phone.
Tobi went through the checklist in his mind to take it away from the reality of the situation.
After a minute of mentally checking if he had everything, Tobi felt Josh standing closer to him than he was a minute ago.
The feeling of Josh's breath ghosted over Tobi's neck, and eyes bore into the side of his head.

"Please say something before you leave. Please."

Josh's pleading wouldn't change anything, Tobi knew he couldn't stay with someone who didn't love him. But Tobi knew that he should at least leave this long time friendship, short time relationship with the final words. Turning his body to face Josh, Tobi hadn't thought much about what to say.
It hurt to even think about the situation, let alone speak of it.

"I have to go. I can't be with you if you don't love me. Neither of us deserves that, and I hope one day you realize that this is the best for us both."

The words seemed right, they seemed caring and regretful all at the same time, but they felt wrong. Tobi had spent multiple nights laying awake and imagining where their relationship would take them. Sometimes he imagined marriage, sometimes a civil partnership, other times it was images of growing old together, but it was never this.
Tobi thought Josh would love him for the rest of their days, and that he would be able to reciprocate that love, but as he grabbed his bag, he realized he was wrong.
He realized he was wrong as he left the bedroom. He realized he was wrong as he crossed to the front door. He realized he was wrong as Josh begged him to stay. He realized he was wrong as he opened the door. And he realized he was wrong as he left.
Tobi never went back, but he always remembered that he was wrong.

--
Sad story for a sad mood. This is unedited. Also, don't understand their ship name. I know they've known each other for that long, but that number will go up every year. Oh well
8-11-16