Chapter 27 - The Vodar

Start from the beginning

Up ahead there was a faint green glow as little patterns of light danced upon the floor at the end the narrow passageway. With no room for fear, the three of them rushed forward. They came to a small room—the oddest chamber imaginable.

"It looks like a shrine," Claire said, who was the first to speak.

The room was circular, indicating that it might lay hidden within one of the many turrets of the Great Keep. It also had a high, pointed ceiling. There were no other visible entrances besides the one they came through.

Saffra agreed with Claire; the room looked like a long-forgotten shrine. There were four pews facing the front, which was differentiated by a large, stained glass window set into the wall.

"Well, that explains the dancing light," said Claire. "Do you think anyone still comes here?" There was obvious amazement in her voice.

"I...I don't think so," Saffra whispered, moving forward in awe. There was no dust in this room, as if protected by the ravages of time.

Glowing, green light emanated from the stained-glass mural towering above them. Its brilliant colors looked as though they had been freshly stained. The panes made up an image of a majestic, lordly tree. There were pin pricks of light fluttering and dancing about it, as if in celebration. Simply looking upon the art left Saffra feeling warm and happy inside, creating a desire to linger and admire.

Together, they sat down shoulder-to-shoulder in the nearest pew. As they gazed upon it, several of the branches moved, swaying as if caught by invisible wind. The panes of glass danced and rearranged themselves, creating a light show upon the walls.

"Did it just..." Desaree failed to finish her sentence.

"It did," Claire said, sounding just as awed.

"How?" Saffra asked.

Claire spoke, "You know, now that I see it, I know exactly what this reminds me of!" She smacked her forehead with the palm of her hand. "I should have realized it sooner. I think it's a special tree in the Gable forest, don't you?"

Neither Desaree nor Saffra could confirm Claire's suspicions, for neither had been to the Gable Forest. At length, Saffra said, "I suppose it would make sense. Queen Isabella was responsible for much of the magic in this castle. Perhaps she built this room as a way to remember her home, as a way to reflect?"

"I bet you're right," said Claire.

They fell silent. It was hard to talk in a place so awe-inspiring without first paying it proper respect. After a while, they spent a good deal of time speculating over the purpose for the mysterious chamber. As they did, they watched the branches on the window-tree dance and wave.

"Shall we go back?" Desaree said at last, when the light behind the window had faded. The window had taken on a bluish glow.

They left in good spirits, feeling renewed and rejuvenated. There was strange magic in the castle, of that Saffra was sure. As they made their way, they talked and joked, discussing how surprising the turn of events had become. They returned the way they had come, trying to closely follow their footsteps in the dust. This was fine at first, but soon they realized that they had been following another, much older set of footprints.

"We're lost!" Desaree cried, allowing her frustration to show at last. "We are not even following our own footsteps anymore. See? Those are boots."

"I guess we know that others have used this place," Claire said. "I hope we don't run into them."

"These footprints could be thousands of years old," Saffra pointed out. "Now, is there a trick to getting out?" Her voice was shriller than intended.

"Surely we are close," Desaree added.