In Which There Are Confrontations

"Hey, Megan, do you want to finish our homework in the library after lunch?" Annie asked. Megan swallowed her bite of fried chicken before answering.

"Can't."

"Why not?"

"I'm in detention with Snape afterwards," Megan replied in an angry voice.

"How?" Ron asked. Apparently, he'd been listening in.

"I was in his way," Megan answered glumly.

"That's not fair! It's not even a real reason! He can't do that! He's always grumpy, and only likes the Slytherins!" Annie ranted. Megan smiled at her support, but shook her head.

"I appreciate your concern," she said. "But I'll be fine." Annie gave her a disbelieving look. Megan quickly backtracked.

"I just mean that there will be no Slytherins there," she assured her friend. "I'll be okay, really." Privately, she wasn't sure of anything. Who knew if Slytherins would be there? Not her.

Megan left lunch five minutes early so that she could make it to the dungeons on time. She walked down winding corridors and stairs with trick steps. Finally, she made it down to the slimy walkways in the dungeons. She pushed open the door to Snape's office.

"So good of you to join us," came Snape's greasy voice. Us? Who else was there? Megan walked a little farther into the room and saw Draco Malfoy standing next to Professor Snape's desk. She suppressed a shudder at the thought of spending all of detention with the slimy, evil little weasel. He stared back at her, a devilish grin forming on his pointed features. "Abbott, Malfoy, you will be serving detention in here," Snape snapped. "You will be cleaning the ingredient shelves. I have cleared everything off, and you will spend the next three hours washing, drying, and polishing them until I can see the reflection of your grimy little faces in them. If you are near death, go to the Hospital Wing. Other than that, you are not permitted to leave this room. You do not need to know where I'll be. You are not permitted to use magic. There will be no need to talk." With that, he left the room, his black cloak swirling around him and reminding Megan of an overgrown bat.

Megan and Malfoy found cleaning supplies in a closet and began to wipe the dust off of the shelves. Neither student talked for the next two hours.

"So, Megan," said Malfoy, putting down his sponge. "How did you end up here?" Megan decided to play dumb.

"At Hogwarts? I've been enrolled since birth." Malfoy glared at her. He let loose a gigantic sigh.

"No, I mean how did you get in detention," he said in a patronizing tone.

"If I wanted to tell you, you would've already known," Megan retorted. "Why on earth would I have broken that wonderful and peaceful silence?"

"I hate that Potter boy," Malfoy said in a whiny voice. Megan stayed silent. "Well, are you going to ask why?"

"Wasn't planning on it, no."

"I'll tell you anyway. It seems like this is bothering you." Something inside of Megan snapped. She whipped out her wand and held it to Malfoy's throat.

"Listen close, Malfoy," she growled. "Professor Snape said no magic for cleaning purposes, but he said nothing about using magic against each other. Now, if you say anything more, I'll-" They were interrupted by a pretty girl with long blond hair, gray eyes, and a Slytherin crest on her robes. Her face was flushed and her tie was undone. She looked like she'd been running.

"Hey, loser," she said, narrowing her eyes. "Flitwick sent me to tell you that you have-" She broke off; noticing the position Malfoy and Megan were in. Her expression hardened. Megan quickly lowered her wand and stepped away. The girl relaxed a bit.