Chapter Thirty Seven

Comenzar desde el principio

"Well Ross is just perfect, if you ask me." Ross and I exchanged glances before casting them to the floor, embarrassed and uncomfortable.

"Well, hearing you say so is exactly why the last fourteen years have been worthwhile."

And there it was, that strange warmth inside that was becoming more familiar. It was nice.

There was a padding of feet coming down the hall, putting a stop to any further mushiness, much to the relief of both Ross and I.

In his thick socks and jammies Jackson entered, a formidable frown on his freckled face.

"I can't believe Mum put me into my jammies at half past five. I'm not going to bed for like another three and a half hours," Jackson moaned, sitting cross legged on the floor in protest.

"I'm in my jammies," I countered. Jackson scowled at me, eyeing me up and down.

"Yeah but you're just being lazy, you've been in you jammies all day." I threw the pillow at Jackson and hit him straight in the face.

"I'm still feeling ill," I huffed. "And besides Jacky, Mummy didn't have to force me into mine so there," I retorted smugly, catching the cushion launched poorly at my head. Jackson mimicked what I'd said, pulling faces whilst doing so. "Hey I'll put you to bed at seven instead of nine if you're not careful." Jackson glowered some more, folding his arms in complaint.

"You can't, Mum says I can stay up till nine," argued Jackson. I narrowed my eyes, far from prepared to go down without a fight.

"And Dad says your sister's in charge and if she puts you to bed at seven for misbehaving then that's fine with me," Ross interjected. Jackson, rather puzzled by his father's willingness to take my side, mumbled something under his breath but continued his sulking in silence.

"Where is that woman?" said Ross, rising for his chair and checking his watch again.

"I'm just coming!" Mum shouted. True to her word she clopped into the living room in her dancing heels, purple dress and my black cardigan. I would have commented about the fact she'd gone rummaging through my drawers but decided I would have just been wasting my breath and putting a dampener on her mood.

"You look beautiful Mum." I settled for that instead of something snide. Mum blushed as Ross approached and planted a passionate kiss on her lips.

"She's right Vanessa, you're gorgeous." Mum couldn't help but giggle, nothing less than a teen going to prom. Ross put his arm around Mum shoulders and waited for her to say her goodbyes for the evening.

"You're to be in bed and nine, latest Jackson. Under no circumstances do I want to be hearing you've been trying to get around that. What Chrissie says goes alright?" Jackson still sulked, nothing having changed despite his normally irresistible pout.

"As for you Chris, just because you're in charge doesn't mean you can feel free to boss your brother about."

It was a shame to discover I was over teasing Jackson, finding it almost laborious. Maybe while he'd sat by my bedside, the blonde haired, blue eyed boy had managed to thaw me.

"Now we'll be back before midnight but if you need us our numbers are on the fridge as always."

"Yes Mum," I replied automatically.

"Good." She bent down and planted a kiss on Jackson's cheek before looking around to make sure everything was just so. Jackson rubbed his cheek with his sleeve, making the lipstick smudge worse.

"Get going Mum or not only will you be late but I think you'll make Ross have a panic attack in the process," I ordered, getting up so could push her from the room myself. There was no need though as Ross, checking his watch one last time, did the honours for me.