8. A Puzzle Among Others

Start from the beginning

"She has been talking all day, every day about how she wanted you to come. She kept telling me to call you or else she would. I promised her I would, but..."

"What is the trouble with calling the Professor?" Flora frowned.

"Flora. It's best if we do not pry into-"

"No, Layton. The reason I didn't want to call you - and I was glad you hadn't responded to the invitation - is because I didn't want you to get caught up in this mess. This horrible mess..."

"You mean the angry citizens?" Dimitri stated quickly, suddenly gaining interest once more.

"No... That is something that is puzzling, but I assume that will blow over... No, it is-"

A spry and welcome voice exploded from the doorway.

"Professor! Is that you?!"

Heads swiveled, eyes meeting that of a starstruck Katia, jaw dropped open.

"Miss Anderson," Hershel smiled, standing from his chair as she ran over towards him. She threw her arms around him and squeezed him tight. He was surprised at her strength, even more so than her grandfathers. "It is good to see you."

 "Please, call me Katia. It would make me feel more comfortable."

"Alright then. I presume you remember Flora."

"Actually, when we met, it was... less than ordinary circumstances..."

"Oh, that is correct. That false Flora you saw was Don Paolo, but the real Flora was left behind in Dropstone."

"That's horrible..."

"I'll say!" Flora tsked.

"It's just so great to see you. I wouldn't want you to miss-"

Katia's voice trailed off as the man of the hour entered the room. His eyes lit up as he spotted Hershel, and he looked is as if was about to say something, but decided against it.

"Ah, here he is!"

The man was dressed in a pristine black suit and he had long flowing blonde hair. Flora found herself dazzled at how handsome the man was.

"Oliver Strapping," the man grinned, shaking the Professor's hand. Hershel was sure he had heard that name before, but he couldn't be sure were. Lights had gone off when Anton had mentioned the name, but now the name seemed to carry a new resonance.

"Hershel Layton," Hershel responded.

"Oh please, as if you need to introduce yourself! Who doesn't know you?!"

Hershel waved away his compliment and took his seat once more.

"So, Oliver, we are all curious. How did you and Katia meet? Anton mentioned work..."

"Ah, well, I am a journalist you see. I was visiting this town through various stages of its... resurrection, and I came across Katia of course. Kind of hard not to meet everyone when this town is only in its blossoming beginnings."

Katia bristled.

"He was so charming. He just wanted to get to know everyone. It came across in his article."

Hershel's eyes widened, and he exclaimed.

"That's it! I knew I had heard your name before. You wrote the article in the paper I read the other day."

"Other day?" Oliver chuckled. "I wrote that thing a good many months ago."

"I was... Preoccupied," Hershel murmured, leaving the matter there.