From afar, she looked confident and beautiful.

But Jase was close enough to see her as she was. Her shoulder shook almost imperceptibly every time she took a step forward. Her knuckles were white from gripping the banister tightly for support, and her cheeks were slightly flushed from nervous anticipation.

Close up, she didn't look confident. But she was still beautiful.

The evening had just begun, but Jase had already wished a million times over that he had the chance to love and be loved by her.

***

Catherine was tempted to take the last few steps two at a time. The slow descend was excruciatingly painful.

When she finally reached the bottom, she gripped Jase's arm tightly, forgetting that unlike the banister, he was made of flesh and blood and not polished marble. If it hurt him, he didn't show it.

Music started and the crowds finally turned away. Catherine breathed a sigh of momentary relief. Placing her hand atop of Jase's, she allowed him to escort her to the centre of the room for their first dance.

The banquet hall had been decorated for the ball. Chandeliers glowed against the ceiling like stars in the night sky, purple velvet curtains framed the arched windows, and well-dressed servants stood at the outer rim of the dance floor, holding platters of dessert and drinks.

Catherine bit her lower lip nervously. She worried about the dance, about embarrassing herself in front of her people, about tripping, about...

In desperation, she looked to Jase for reassurance. His face was impassive, almost bored. Nervousness left her as she suppressed an urge to shove him. All around them, people paired up for the first dance of the night.

Jase raised a hand, palm facing outwards towards her, and Catherine mirrored him with her opposite hand. They circled each other with their palms raised, but not touching. Catherine thought about how symbolic the dance was. She often felt so close Jase, but at the same time, there was an invisible barrier that separated them. She couldn't touch him, no matter how hard she tried.

In defiance, she moved her hand an inch forward, pressing their palms together and causing Jase to flinch involuntarily at the sudden contact.

"I don't think our hands are suppose to be touching," he said. His voice monotonous.

Catherine ignored him and pressed harder, forcing him to return the pressure in order to maintain balance. They continued dancing. Their feet and body responding to the music while their hands continued with the silent wrestling match.

The music slowed and their wrestling match ended with Catherine as the winner.

A lone violinist played the intro to the next tune. Jase placed one hand on the curve of her waist and captured her other hand in a light grip that extended away from their bodies. Catherine rested her free hand on his right shoulder. Their chest rose and fell in synchrony.

The world melted away as the next dance began.

All Catherine saw was Jase. His blonde hair that matched the colour of her crown. His ocean blue eyes. The twitch in his right jaw. They disappeared and reappeared from her view, like flashes of lightning in the midst of a thunderstorm, as she spun away from and back into his arms.

Somewhere in between being spun and caught, she wondered where Jase learnt to dance the way he did. His moves were foreign and exhilarating. She had never enjoyed dancing. Until now. She appreciated the speed. The accuracy, The proximity. It was like sword fight. They continued dancing at a fast pace. Worries, questions and uncertainties swept away by music and adrenaline.