Take Twenty-one: Tōō vs. Seirin

The Inter-High Preliminary Tournament game is finally here.

Everybody got ready in their own way. Izuki got into a pun-war with his mother first thing in the morning, Mitobe helped with breakfast for his numerous noisy siblings, Koganei was slapped awake across the face by his sister, Hyūga did his daily morning run, and Riko fell asleep on her table after staying up too late for game plans. 

As for Kagami, he made several shots in a street basketball court, just to make sure his injuries from the Shūtoku game has finally healed.

'Say your prayers, Aomine...!' He balled a fist in front of his face, 'I will definitely win!'

People begin pouring into the gymnasium the preliminary tournament is going to be held.

"Ohhhh." Takao marvelled to himself as he walked with his team, "A lot more people turn up for the championship league."

"Ano, where's Midorima?" Miyaji asks.

Takao proceeds to take out his phone, showing Midorima's message: 'Screw that. Not coming.'

"Ahaha...!" Miyaji hums with an irritated smile, "Kimura! Pineapple!"

"Yup, I got a real green one."

In the Tōō change room, Momoi's shriek echoes through it: "EHHH?! Aomine's not here yet?!"

"He won't answer no matter how many times I call." Imayoshi says, his phone in hand.

As Momoi stormed out and called him through her phone, the tanned male finally picked up the phone and put it by his ear, "Sup?"

"What are you doing? Where are you right now?" Momoi asks worriedly.

"Hah? I'm at school. Sorry, I overslept."

"Aomine? When can you get here?" Imayoshi's voice came from the other end, "C'mon, we're all counting on you! We're up against Seirin here!"

"Hm, probably at the second half." He sneered, "There you go again. Don't worry, twenty minutes will be more than enough to crush those scrubs. Do what you can in the first half."

"What? Oi--"

Aomine hung up before he can say more.

Light grass green eyes watched him carefully as he dropped his phone back on the rooftop pavement. He laid back down with his arms behind his head, he opened one eye and glanced at her, "What're you looking at?"

"You lied about oversleeping."

"What did you want me to say?" Aomine mumbles with his eyes closed again, "Anyway, why'd you spend your entire afternoon with me here? I thought you said you made up your mind to help Seirin beat us?"

Mikami sat up, crossing her legs, "Yeah, so I might not be able to see you in a while. Think of it as me making my last round before following Seirin's schedule completely."

He pretended he wasn't effected by that as he slowly got up, "Whatever... you can go continue your rounds, I'm heading to the game."

"...Bye, Daiki." Her voice almost made him come to a halt, but he forced himself to keep walking, not glancing back. By the time he got to the front school gate, the sound of a helicopter flying away was already faint.

When she got to the arena, luckily, the game only began for a few seconds. However, the score was already 3-0 to Tōō. 

"Calling yourselves the opening act was evil." Hyūga comments, a hand on his hip while Imayoshi walks back to half court happily.