Chapter 19- Leaving

Comincia dall'inizio

''Oh, I'm sorry Katniss,'' Finnick sighs. ''Just look after yourself, alright?'' He says.

''I will. Make sure you look after yourself too, and Annie- I don't want her to be as low as she got, not again.''

''I promise I'll look after her, I love her,'' he shrugs, stating something so deep as if it was second nature to him.

''Good,'' I smile. ''Anyway, I better get back so we have time to get ready,'' I tell him.

''Of course you girls need at least three hours to get ready, how can I forget?'' He chuckles. ''I'll see you later,'' he smiles, before turning away and walking up the stairs to, presumably, collect his and the boys' gowns.

By the time I'm back, the girls have already showered and so I go to wash my hair, readying myself for later on. I find that I've started singing again, the little tunes which my father used to sing when I was little, and later the ones I sang to Prim. As the words come out of my mouth I'm flooded with nostalgia of the past years, but also a warm comfort settles into my body and I know that it will remain there for years to come.

After showering, I put on the graduation dress- an off the shoulder, pale blue dress, which is tight at the waist and then a feathered skirt falling down to just above my knees. I give my hair some natural curls, applying minimal makeup as I wanted a fresh, summer look. Annie was dressed in a high-necked, sleeveless, pastel-pink pencil dress, her hair natural and makeup minimal like me, she still managed to look so angelic. Johanna dressed in a tight-fitting, pale lilac dress, which clung to her figure down to her mid-calf, with elegant laced sleeves and a classy high-ponytail.

Outside of our window, you could see all of the cars of family members parked outside in the burning summer sunlight, and amidst them somewhere, was my mother. We all finished getting ready, putting on our caps and gowns as the bell rung and we went to congregate in our seats by the school's orchard. We all walked out, everybody immediately mingling with one another's family members. I met Annie's parents, who were just as kind-hearted and warm as her, accepting me straight away as their daughter's friend, which made me happy. Johanna's Aunt and Uncle were here too, and although they were lovely you could see why two months of them would drive you crazy, they were the type of people who were always happy- a complete contrast to Johanna and her sarcastic attitudes to everything.

As we walk to find our seats, I hear running footsteps behind me, coming closer and closer ''Catnip!'' Someone shouts, my body instantly recognising the voice and remembering the lost memories of home.

''Gale?'' I say, shocked to see him here. ''Wait, what are you doing here?'' I ask in shock.

''Couldn't not see my best friend graduate could I?'' He shrugs. So many emotions were running through my mind, I was still so, so angry at him for failing to do the one thing he promised- protecting my sister- but at the same time, I couldn't just forget the years of our friendship and the solidarity we shared. ''Before you say anything, I am so sorry- for everything. I know I've been a dick, and I know I should have kept my word but-''

''Save it for later,'' I tell him. ''It's nice to see you again,'' I smile, wrapping my arms around him. When I first lost my father, his hugs were the ones to offer a comfort, but now the only connection I could feel was sorrow. He wasn't the one to wade away the nightmares when I lost Prim, he wasn't the one to bring me back from mourning, and I knew that, inevitably, it wouldn't be him to fulfil my life and make me happy- it was Peeta, and will continue to be Peeta for as long as I could possible imagine. I start to feel so much disappointment whilst in his arms, so much disappointment and so much sadness that things with him worked out the way they did- but I couldn't stay angry, life was too short.