Chapter 11- Peeta

Peeta's POV

Finally the school bell rings and we're free to leave the classroom to spend the rest of the day doing what we pleased. ''Peeta man, you're out tonight aren't you?'' Cato asks, walking over to my desk as I pack my things away.

''I don't know, maybe I'll come for a bit,'' I shrug, slinging my backpack over my shoulders.

''Come on, you don't know how long it'll be before you can have fun with the lads again,'' he sighs, as we walk out of the classroom.

''Thanks for reminding me,'' I chuckle snidely, before sighing. ''Sorry, I'm just stressed you know? With Katniss being away and this whole thing, it's just messing with me.''

''No, it's cool. I'll maybe see you later?'' He asks as he spots Johanna leaving the Girl's building.

''Maybe,'' I nod, watching as he runs over to her, grabbing her waist as she laughs into his chest, resting close. What I would do to have Katniss here now, just to feel the heat of her tiny body pressed against mine whilst I played with her hair, promising everything would be alright. What I would do just to hold her and try to believe that simple fact was true.

Tomorrow was operation day. For the past few weeks I'd been having severe shooting pains around my stump, it was like a thousand knives slicing their way through, touching every single nerve as painfully as the last. I'd tried to ignore it, but with them happening so frequently, I couldn't not find out what was wrong. Apparently, it's just a few blood clots- a simple procedure. A simple procedure that Katniss should know about, but with everything going on in her life, how could I have her worrying about anything else? Nobody sees the shear look of panic on her face when I squeeze my eyes shut as it pierces through my leg, or how I'll feel her body tense up when I let ago of my hold on her to squeeze a fist, easing the pain. I had to promise I was alright, I couldn't let her think otherwise- she was going through too much.

I don't know how she does it you know, how someone like her has managed to stay so strong through the death of her little sister- it would completely shatter anybody else, but not her. I never get tired of looking at her, not when she's staring aimlessly at the board in class in a world of her own, or not when she's peacefully asleep against my chest- to be honest I like it when she sleeps, she doesn't frown, she's in peace and honestly it improves her look...so, so pure.

I scan my finger, opening the door to see Finnick laid on his back scrolling through his phone, frowning in deep concentration. ''Finnick,'' I nod towards him, slumping onto my bed and releasing a huge sigh. ''I thought you'd be with Annie?''

''No, her and Johanna are having a girly night or some shit,'' he chuckles. ''Why, did you have plans or?''

''No, I was just going to Skype Katniss, but I can do it later,'' I shrug, sitting up and opening up my laptop.

''Ahh, your girl,'' Finnick smirks, mimicking my voice.

''She's not my anything,'' I laugh gently, bringing up an essay that was due in two days ago.

''But you want her to be?'' He asks, raising his eyebrows. ''All you've got to do is ask her, everyone knows you two are crazy about each other. What is it Johanna calls you both, lovebirds?'' He chuckles. ''Seriously though man, what's holding you back?''

''She knows what she means to me, and anyway I don't want to make this all about us when I'm trying to help her through everything right now,'' I frown, especially at the thought of putting her feelings about me before grieving the loss of her sister- she was the number one priority, not our 'relationship' status.

''You could help each other you know,'' Finnick mumbles as I shoot a dark glare at him. ''Peeta come on, I can't believe you're not telling her. You're going into hospital for Christ's sake! You're hardly going to be completely better in less than a week, she's going to ask questions!'' He sighs, frustrated as he sits up to face me.