Chapter Seven

So yeah, I know I'm not making good on my promise to upload a chapter every day. I'm also behind on my wordcount for NaNo. Things are a little busy right now due to school. so I try to write when I can, but it's not enough... I'm sorry for that.

Still, I hope you enjoy the story!

-=-=-=-

          Terrance had been wrong: they did not reach the city of Blistering Woods two days later, in the evening, but managed to arrive a few hours sooner than expected. The extra time, they spent in the city, wandering to see the sights. Not even Terrance protested, or suggested they would be traveling onwards, he too knew they had deserved a break, a good meal, a good bed and something to take their minds off of things. He enjoyed exploring the city as much as Maya and June.

          Blistering Woods, more than Redthorns, was a real city of the Seaside Province, he told them. The smell of fish hung in the air on every street and when the wind blew, you could just smell the sea—at least, that was what Terrance claimed, though June wasn't sure to believe him. Maybe he made it up, just to mess with her. Or perhaps he just wanted to smell it...

          They had plenty of time to find a place to stay the night; with a few inquiries, they managed to find a simple inn, not too rundown, but not too luxurious either. They did not want to stand out by throwing a lot of money around, but June and Terrance agreed, and this was the perfect place to rest their bones.

          The rooms were somewhat small, the beds old and musty, and the evening meal provided by the innkeeper was nothing to write home about, but sufficient. Maya even asked for seconds.

          As they decided on the beds and more importantly, the rooms, Terrance was quick to decide: the girls would take one, the men the other. The two rooms, on opposite sides of the hallway, were nearly exactly the same, so it did not really matter who slept where. All that mattered was, with who? June knew exactly why Terrance chose this arrangement, but did not bother to argue. She knew it would not matter, and it would give him some peace of mind. He would not like it if Maya and Adam would sleep together, without him keep an eye on her. Even though Terrance and Adam got along fine, it seemed to June, she would be astonished if he would trust her with Adam.

          They said their goodnights, and Maya yawned, already getting more and more sleepy. Terrance smiled.

          “We've traveled far, so it's no wonder you're tired. Sleep well, Maya—and dream of another wonderful day.”

          “A story?” the little girl pleaded. “Or a song? Please?” She met his eye with the most begging and wishful look as she could manage, but he shook his head.

          “June can do it, I'm sure.”

          “But...” She glanced from Terrance to June, not wanting to upset her. She smiled though.

          “Don't worry, Maya. We'll have some fun before we're going to sleep. Terrance is tired too—he'll tell a story some other day.”

          Terrance shot her a grateful look and she returned a smile. “Good night,” she told him. “See you in the morning.”

          He nodded and stepped closer to her. “You too, June,” he said. Adam shrugged and walked into one of the rooms, giving them some privacy. Maya, however, did not follow his example, and instead stared at the two as they exchanged loving gazes. She smiled, though she did not say anything and let them be.

          “I love you,” June whispered to him.

          He took her hand and softly pulled her closer. “I love you too,” Terrance spoke, then kissed her. It lasted for seconds, but the both of them wished it could last forever. They both frowned as they had to break apart from each other, and for a moment, June considered about asking him to spend the night in her room. She rejected the idea; she did not want to ruin the moment they just had.