Chapter 3

"Volpina," Hawk Moth began, "you have been defeated by Ladybug and Chat Noir. But I give you another chance. You could win Adrien's heart. But in return, you must bring me their Miraculous."

Volpina was sitting on a bench in the park. "Yes," she said. "It would be my pleasure, Hawk Moth."

She raised her flute up to her lips.

.............

Marinette was inspecting her new creation: it was a new bag. She just happened to glance outside her window when the buildings outside started crumbling down in a giant cloud of dust.

"Oh no!" Marrinete put her hand to the window. "What's happening? Tiki, spots on!"

With a flourish, Ladybug leaped out of her window, hoping that Chat Noir was already at the scene.

.............

"On a count of three..." the photographer nudged the camera over a little. "One, two-"

"I gotta go," interrupted Adrien, who had spotted the ruined buildings. "Plagg, claws out!"

..............

"Nice of you to meet me here," said Ladybug. She already had her yo-yo spinning in all directions.

Chat grinned. He was so happy to see her. "Of course, My Lady." He wanted come up with another pun, because he just knew Ladybug would laugh. His puns were the funniest thing ever, right?

But Ladybug wasn't paying attention. Instead she was tilting her head at the crumbling building, squinting. 

"This is an illusion," she realized. "Which means..." her eyes widened. "No."

"Volpina," Chat finished. "Or Lila. Darn it."

"Ugh..." moaned Ladybug. Chat realized that she didn't like her very much, for whatever reason. Before he could respond, Ladybug was already flying to the top of the building.

"Hey-wait for me! Wait! Ladybug, this might be a trap!"

Ladybug looked back. "But Paris needs us!"

...............

"Ladybug," Volpina sneered. "I knew you would come. That was almost too easy. Now give me your miraculous." 

Ladybug's hands instantly went to her ears to protect them. "Never," she said. "I know you can't do anything to harm me. You works are just illusions. Nothing else."

Volpina shrugged. "Maybe. But that doesn't me I can't hurt you." She turned around. "Solidifier!"

A tale, male figure dressed in a pale blue jumpsuit sprang up besides Volpina. He too had a mask around his ashen blue eyes. His hair was blond, but a lighter shade than Chat's.

"You called me, Volpina?"

................

Chat Noir had just arrived. "You took your time," grumbled Ladybug. She seemed to be having an argument with Volpina and the figure beside her. 

Seeing Chat made Volpina's sinister grin widen. "Excellent. Two of them at once. Hawk Moth will be pleased."

Ladybug and Chat readied themselves for a fight. 

Volpina simply rolled her eyes. She started playing her flute. Suddenly, a cage appeared around Chat and Ladybug.

"This is just an illusion," Ladybug muttered through gritted teeth. But when she tried to step through, Solidifier snapped his fingers. The cage seemed to vibrate for a second, and when Ladybug put her hand to the cage, she discovered that it had solidified.

"Cataclysm!" Chat yelled. He grabbed one of the bars. It seemed to work at first, but the cage simply grew back.

"You can't keep us in here forever!" Ladybug glared at Volpina and Solidifier. "Lucky Charm!" Nothing appeared.

"Oh," said Volpina, "that won't help. You saw what happened to Chat. Obviously." 

"Now give us your miraculous!" demanded Solidifier. 

"Yes, that would be wise." Volpina summoned huge needles aimed at the cage, and Solidifier snapped his fingers again.

Chat's eyes grew wide. "Uh, Ladybug, it was really nice knowing you."

"We can't give them our miraculous! Paris needs us!" Ladybug was pacing inside the little space they had in the cage.

"I hate to say this," Chat Noir gulped, "but I don't think we have the choice."

The needles grew closer, slowly inching into the cage. If he were to lean against the cage, it would definitely impale him.

Chat reached for Ladybug's hand and grasped it.

"We can do this," he whispered.