I: Carpe Noctem

"One son was fated to rule the land until his last breath, the second was destined to find love in the darkest of places, and the third was cursed to destroy everything his brothers had built."

Wind flew through the cracks in the windows and whispered into his ear. He ran his hand along a dagger, setting it into the bag on the table. His brothers were oblivious to his actions since they were fast asleep at the time. It was not in his nature to flee, but suspicion was rising to a level that he could not bear. His younger brother, Jareth, was in love. Just as the prophecy stated. His older brother would be assuming the throne in a fortnight. That left him with a fate of destruction, but he would not destroy his home. How could he? His mother and father had been so good to him, and his brothers were bothersome at times, but he could not live without them.
Azrael, the prince who fled. That was what he assumed they would call him. Jareth of Pure Heart, Garrick the Conqerer, and the coward. But he would rather have been a coward than a murderer.
He thought the prophecy was rubbish, but the people did not. They were flighty, terrified, and they did not want war. They would never believe that the prophecy was fake.
He heard a loud knocking on the door, and Garrick strode into the room with a sword on his shoulders.
"Evening, brother," Garrick said, pulling a chair closer to the table and sitting down with a loud thump. Apparently, he was not quite as asleep as Azrael hoped.
"Evening," Azrael said, scribbling in a book. Kiran leaned closer to him, laughing as he looked at Azrael's book.
"Mage Practices?" Garrick said. "If father or mother caught you with such a book..."
"I know," Azrael said. "It is simply for research, brother. If we are to destroy the mages, we must first understand them."
"Of course," Garrick said. "But why should we seek to understand something when we could easily destroy it?"
"You think with your sword," Azrael said. "I prefer to think with my mind, thank you very much."
"A sword is much easier to control," Garrick said. "But I respect your choices, brother. You are a kind soul. In this world, there are not many like you left."
Azrael smiled, closing the book. "Thank you," he said. "I suppose... Do you mind if I have your opinion? It is on a very sensitive matter."
"I will do my best," Garrick said.
"Do you believe the prophecy to be true?" Azrael asked.
"Yes," Garrick said. "Without a doubt."
"That means one of us will destroy the kingdom," Azrael said.
"And I will do what is necessary to defend it," Garrick's eyes grew dark, and a shadow fell across his face. "Good night brother." Without looking at Azrael, he left the room.
Only one thought filled Azrael's mind. Repeating over and over, it was etched into his being.
"Garrick knows," Azrael whispered. "He knows everything." He threw the book into his bag and swung it over his shoulder, unsheathing his sword as he ran to the door.