Artair placed Aislinn on a patch of grass away from the cottage. Laying her so her back was flat with the ground, allowing the air to pass more easily into her body. He was worried about how she still struggled for breath. Wondering if perhaps a rib had been broken. He knew that feeling well. It had been weeks before he felt he could take a full breath. The blood still seeping from her wound to the grass below was one thing he could help with.

Pulling his shirt from the waist of his kilt. Tearing a strip from the bottom of the linen. Drawing his dagger from his boot he cut away the sleve from above the wound. With her arm free, he carefully but efficiently bound the arm tightly. As he tied off the ends of the linen, he looked around to find Cam coming to his knees on her other side.

As he saw Aislinn gathered into Cam’s arms, he saw not for the first time the feelings they shared for each other. A moment of jealousy spearing through him. He would never begrudge a friend happiness, but it would be nice to feel those feelings himself. Most saw him, though, and did not differentiate or separte him from his brother. It was unlikely he would find someone for his own.

Seeign Cam completely occupied with Aislinn, he turned to stand and head in the direction his brother had taken. Only to find Hamish stood in the doorway. He looked over his shoulder at Artair as he approached. “Is it over so soon? It looked to be a long one when I took a quick glance earlier.”

Hamish’s eyes showed the anguish he felt. No one deserved a death such as the one Iona was going to suffer. “No. No it is not over. But she should not have an audience as she goes through the pain we have all seen on the battle field with this injury.” Hamish, however, did stand aside to let Artair enter to be beside his brother. No matter the reason, no one deserved to enter the last goodnight alone. Especially one who had been a much loved part of the clan. Even if she had had ulterior motives. They would try and hide those from the majority of the clan.

He had no idea how it could be. But her family would not be well received if full news of what she had done was known to the clan.

Going down gently to his knees on the opposite of Iona to his brother. He took in her full condition. She would have been full of health right now if not for that wound to the stomach. He did not know how it had happened, but there was no reverse for this. He had seen strong men felled by such a simple wound. They had no wish for this pain before them.

He reached for the hand closest to him. Felt her clench her hand tightly around his. A testament to what she was fighting to keep silent about. Writhing on the floor between him and his twin. He felt the tears prick his eyes. He looked at his brother, and knew he was thinking the same. Would it not be better for them to end the misery she was in. For a comrade in battle he could have done it. But a woman…he did not think he could do that to a woman.

“Why Iona? What happened to make you act so?” He could not let the questions go unanswered, in a way this was her final confession, her last chance to admit her sins before the final judgement.

The pain in the eyes that locked with his hit him full on. “I deserved it…I shouldn’t have to stay at the bottom of the pile…my mother was a bastard from the Laird’s family.” He knew this. As one of the few Cam had actually told. “I have had none…none of what they have…why…why should I not have something for once.”

“Did you really have to go to such lenghts. Cam would have done right by you if you had spoken to him.”

“He had already…refused. Mother…told me so. They would…not help. So I…went out to make Cam…notice me. He did. He saw me…if not for…her. He would be..with me.” She was so adamant of the last point that he knew nothing he said or anyone said would have swayed her to the right way of thinking. There must have been something in her mind that showed her different stories to the ones that happened in real life. It was the only explanation he had.

Cam held Aislinn close. She still gasped for breath but it was easing somewhat with time. He had heard from one of his men what was happening in the cottage. He could not find it within him to feel pity. If she had survived he would have had to pass judgement upon her. This could have been the kinder option, he was not sure he was entirely rational when it came to Aislinn.

He tucked her head into the crook of his neck and stroked her hair back with his free hand. He looked up at the moment he saw movement in his peripheral vision. Seeing the twins leave the cottage he knew what had happened. He never wanted it to end like this, had never expected this. He never wanted a member of his clan to be capable of such things. It was a day that would be overshadowed by this betrayal for some years to come.

They had to come up with something to tell the populace, that could not be told the truth. It may be possible they could turn on each other, expecting someone else to act out in a similar fashion. This had to be taken care of cautiously, but for those who knew the truth. It would be a warning for the future. One he could only be grateful he could still have with Aislinn.