Chapter 38

Chapter 38

She held her breath. She could not take the silence that had befallen them, in the tiny area behind the cottage Isla had commandeered. Waiting, rather impatiently, for some response, all the possibilities flew around and circled in her mind.

He would claim she was mad, throw her away and never look back…

He would be condescending, treat her as a child, all the while making his way further away from her and looking for help…

He would just walk away, no interaction at all. Ignoring her completely and cutting her out of his life as if she never existed…

The most unlikely situation, he would ask her to explain and listen before making his final decision…

He still had not moved. The butterflies in her stomach had taken off in a vengeance. She could not take this for much longer. Only she knew if she pushed for an answer the likelihood would be that she would regret being so assertive. This had to be on him. Camdyn had to be the one to accept or reject this revelation, in his own time and without her influence. Even if her heart broke because of it.

Camdyn had known the truth. Isla and Toren had both told him. But this, it froze him to the spot. After everything he had heard, felt and uncovered in the last few hours he had not allowed himself to truly believe who she was. What his place was in the world. He technically was no longer the heir to the MacKay people. In fact that job now lay with the woman before him and would be given to the male she married. Which would mean that he was actually the Mackay heir, and that turn of thinking, most definitely, made his head ache.

He remembered a time when he had told his mother of his ‘feelings’. She had told him to keep them hidden. Not to let anyone know of them for they would not believe. But, he was not to worry. For he was believed by her. She would never allow him to feel that he was not believed. He had not taken her at her word at that moment. So young and afraid he would be turned away. His mother had gathered him close and told him of the dreams she had. Of a misty land that showed her images, glimpses of the past and future.

She had never been good at navigation within this land, she had told him. That the glimpses she saw were disjointed. She knew that she was not as powerful at this as her mother and grandmother had been. She had told him of her hope that he would have sister that held the gift, and could help him as he took his place as Laird. For that gift would be the most useful of advisors.