Chapter Five: Forgotten Anniversary

Start from the beginning

I lamented and shifted my car back into its driving course and took note of where I was, and started to drive back to my house. But of course, halfway there, the car died on the lack of gasoline in its fuel tank. I groaned and retreated from the vehicle and scartched my head, looking around. Surprisingly, I ended up stuck in the place where Logan had forgotten our anniversary. The school parking lot was vacant except for one boy tap dancing his way out of school. I narrowed my eyes and locked the car, walking towards him. As I got closer, more of his facial features became more familiar and I grinned.

"Robert?" My shout startled him, but he smiled and ran over to me.

"What're you doing here?" He asked, continuing to tap dance and not look up at me.

"Shouldn't I be asking that question?"

"Yeah, I was trying out for the school musical and one of the teachers betted on me that I'd win. Isn't that great?"

"Wish I'd been there, but I've been wasting gas from driving around town. So, I got stuck here with Emmaly's car and that's why I'm here." I said glumly.

Robert stopped dancing and looked at me, gasping. He thumbed my cheeks that had faded make-up and pulled me in for a hug. I enveloped Robert in my arms, burying my head in his shoulders, silently whimpering.

"What happened?" He asked, still in this position.

"Logan forgot our anniversary," I said. "Geez, now that I'm saying it out loud, it sounds stupid."

"No, no," Robert calmed. "I'd be mad too. Especialy if it were my first anniversary."

"It was our first.." I quavered in his arms, losing track of my words and hugging him tighter.

But Robert pulled away and licked his thumb, wiping away the make up that were dried up on my cheeks. I smiled and he showed off his perfect new teeth that suited his face magnificently. He grabbed my hand and filled in the spaces between my fingers with his, clasping his hand around mine and walking us in the direction of home. I left Emmaly's car parked beside the school lot. I'll come back for it tomorrow. Realizing that the car keys were still in my hands, I shoved them it my pockets and swayed Robert and I's linked hands back and forth.

"Let's ditch tomorrow."

I looked at Robert like he was crazy, "Uh.. I don't think that's a good idea."

"You don't wanna go to school, I don't really care about school. C'mon, just for a day."

"But we have nowhere to go," I countered. "And definitely not home."

"Definitely not. You have Emmaly's car, right?"

"It's out of gas though."

"I could bring a gallon of gas from my garage and just fill the tank." Robert said. "You still got those ice skates I got you?"

I nodded. "Then I know just where to go," Robert grinned. "Ever been ice skating?" He twirled me around like a ballerina, making me laugh and feel like a princess. Why doesn't Logan do this?

Robert and I went seperate ways after saying good bye. I strutted inside my house, hanging my head, trying to hide evidence that I had been crying. But as soon as the door closed, I could feel the stomps of my father thundering through the halls as he stormed in front of me and pulled me into a big hug.

"Where were you, young lady?" He boomed.

"Sad." I admitted.

"Why?" The concern in his voice was so sudden, it almost knocked me off my feet.