Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 59

Start from the beginning

Kiba, trying to ignore the growing ache of fear and unease in his chest, takes in the charred material of Yamato’s flak jacket and the few tiny drops of blood on his lower lip. Though Ashley’s Wolf had been the one to attack them, Ashley herself hadn’t done anything to them yet, and that thought alone was giving the Inuzuka hope. Surely she didn’t really mean any of the confusing things she was saying…..Something must have happened to her when the Akatsuki kidnapped her. That would be the only explainable reason for her strange attitude towards them…

“Don’t worry Kakashi, they won’t be getting the Three Tails” Ashley announces, referring to what the Jonin had said moments earlier and taking a step backwards. “Because, like I already said, the Three Tails is now property of the Akatsuki!”

“Why do you keep talking like you’re one of them?!” Kiba demands to know, sounding somewhat desperate as he takes a step forwards. “Just because you were kidnapped by them doesn’t mean that you have to-”

“Kidnapped?” Ashley interrupts, tilting her head. “You think I was kidnapped by the Akatsuki?”

Yamato and Kakashi exchange looks as Ashley suddenly bursts out laughing, with the brown haired ANBU member’s mouth pulling down into a sullen frown. Kiba can’t help narrowing his eyes at Ashley, feeling strangely hurt by her cruel, mocking laughter, when the blonde raises her head and sighs dramatically.

“Give me a break” Ashley says dryly, throwing her hands on her hips. “They didn’t kidnap me, I willingly went to the Akatsuki. As if I’d be weak enough to get myself captured so easily!”

What?!” Yamato and Kiba cry with disbelief, with Kakashi straightening up and balling his hands into fists, eyes staring hard at his blonde student. What was she playing at here? What was her motive, her plan? Surely she wouldn’t proclaim something so dangerous and stupid without good reason?

Hinata is unable to suppress her gasp of surprise, one hand flying to her mouth, while Kiba’s head slowly tilts down, eyes now hidden underneath his hair as he stares into the dark water below.

Was this all a joke? A cruel, malicious joke? All this time, Kiba had been worried absolutely sick about Ashley, fearing that she’d soon be killed in some torturous way by the Akatsuki, only to find out that she’d gone to them of her own free will…..It just seemed too cruel and unfair to be true…..

“You weren’t captured by the Akatsuki?” Kakashi asks, to which Ashley scoffs and shakes her head. “Then why would you willingly run to them? Have you forgotten exactly who the Akatsuki are and what they’re doing? What they’ve already done?......Don’t you realise the danger you’ve put yourself in Ashley?”

“W-We’ve all been s-so worried about you Ashley-chan” Hinata speaks up timidly, now very unsure of the blonde girl. “Kiba-kun especially……”

“Well, now you don’t have to worry anymore” Ashley chuckles meanly. “I’m alive, stronger than ever and on the winning side. I’m perfectly fine!”

Kiba’s hands slowly begin balling into fists at his sides, teeth gritted tightly together. Akamaru, sensing his best friend’s growing confusion and emotional stress, begins to whine softly.

“And as for what the Akatsuki have been doing” Ashley continues, turning her attention to Kakashi, an ominous tone to her voice, “I think I know that better than anyone, considering I tracked them for so long. They have no clue what I am, and they never will!”

“But why would you do this Ashley?” Yamato questions calmly, trying to reason with the girl. “You’ve got a home in the Leaf, and good friends who care about you. What could the Akatsuki possibly have that you didn’t already?”