Chapter 26: Flashback

Sage was settled in quickly. She never really ever owned many things. At least, nothing besides her ship. She had taken to pirating when she was but a child. She was fascinated with the water and desired deeply to sail out on them, riding the waves from dusk until dawn. Snow was never happy about this and she was insistent on getting her interested in politics. It never really worked, though. Sage was different than Elpis Zoe and I. 

When we were older, Elpis Zoe had claimed the crown by battling the leader on the throne at the table in a fair battle. When she came out on top, she was deemed the strongest Vampire and was crowned. Snow was never more proud and had even labeled Elpis Zoe her favorite. When she became Queen, she assigned me as the Vampire Knight to protect her.

From then on, we became closer and closer until we inevitably became a couple. In secret of course.

I realized I was reminiscing again and shake my head to rid my brain of those memories. It wouldn't be long before dinner was placed. I moved away from the balcony to wander the halls as timed passed. Snow was out right now, thankfully. She must have needed her daily fixation of human blood. I'm sure she'll manipulate someone into giving her consent, even though it wasn't really consent. 

She was truly the only Vampire in history that could get away with it.

I came to a turn and nearly collided into someone. I grab at them instinctively. "Oh, my goodness, I'm terribly sorry." I apologize to the crown of blonde hair below me. The girl looks up and I see it's the human Sage brought. I lower my hands when she glances at them, clearly not liking I was holding her so tightly. "Ah, you're the human girl."

She nods her head slowly. 

"Sage wasn't kidding when she said you've not spoken," I said it more to myself than to her, but she nods her head again anyway. "Well, I do hope your stay here will change your mind." I swallowed. 

I've never had much trouble with human blood before. But I think it's because she's a Royal Blood. And a strong one too. I can smell it, even without any open wound. She was delectable, I'm sure. However, my purity I wish to keep. Sinking my teeth into this fine specimen would ensure my purity to be tainted and that was something I simply could not allow.

She lowers her head again. 

It was in that moment I notice the bruises on her shoulders. And her arms. She has a cut right on her face as well. Her ratty clothes are still on her and I feel my fists curl at the sight. Whoever -- or whatever -- left her in this position, would pay dearly. I wasn't sure why, because I didn't even know the girl's name, but it was undeniable that I felt incredibly protective over this human. 

A thought struck me when I recalled Snow's talk to us about finding a mate one day. She had told us a mate is someone a Vampire simply cannot live fully without. And as soon as we meet them, we'd feel protective and loving immediately. She had also said that mate's should never be a human. Humans were food, she'd said. Nothing more. 

But how can I possibly think that way when she's standing before me now? I feel this intense affection come over me and I gently reach out, afraid I might break her if I squeeze too hard and touch her wrist. 

She tenses up at the contact and I hated that she did. I wanted it to change. I wanted her to be happy that I touch her. I wanted her to want me to. 

"Shall I give you new clothing? Those things are... rather old," I kept my contact light, so she could pull away if she didn't like it, and so she wouldn't feel threatened. I had no idea how humans showed affection. I was born a human, but I was brought up as a Vampire, and early on in my life, I turned into one. I have a vague memory of my life as a human. "Come." I don't wait for her to answer me, because I know she won't and lead her through the halls of the quiet kingdom.