Chapter 4: The Bittens

HAPPY SUMMER VACATION!!!!!

Chapter 4: The Bittens

Every Fledgling Vampire was called down to the school building where we were all lined up and the teachers, all dressed entirely in black, were trying to talk over the massive crowds of students. Which proved to be quite difficult, since there were fewer teachers compared to students. I spotted Annika, the female dorm warden. And next to her was a tall, just as serious looking male version of her. I'm guessing he was the male dorm warden.

Nova, the Countess, stood at the base of the steps, leading inside Elysian House. She was watching as the helpless teachers were attempting to tame the massive crowds of students. All talking, yelling, pushing and shoving. Maya and I were more toward the back, where it was a bit calmer.

Then a man opened the door behind Nova and stepped beside her, raising his chin to the sky and shouting. "Silence!"

The man, what an odd appearance... he wasn't odd like Maya was, because of her blonde hair. This man took the cake when it came to odd. Unlike everyone else, his hair had taken the opposite route. White. It was entirely white. His eyes, a stormy grey. It's like he was trying to be different from the rest. He was hunched over as well. His back jutting out in a way that looked highly uncomfortable. His nose was crooked and it appeared this one of his eyes couldn't open fully, while the other one was wide open and glaring.

In short, the mysterious Vampiric man was kind of scary looking.
Nova grasps his arm thankfully, then turns to look at the rest of us. I hadn't even realized the entire student body had gone entirely silent when they heard that man's voice. "Now, then," she began, as if she were continuing from something she said before. "As most of you know, I am Nova. I am the Countess of Elysian House and I am officially welcoming you all to your new lives here in the world of the night."

Cheers erupted from the front, people clapped and called out the Countess's name in joy.

And so begins the first day here at Elysian House.

---

Just like everything else, Elysian House really lit up when the people were added. The dark hallways still remained quite dim and gloomy, but the overall noise kind of covered over that. Due to the lack of windows in Elysian House, it was already dark enough. But with it being night time, well you couldn't even really tell. Unless I looked at a watch, I couldn't possibly figure out the difference between nighttime and daytime. The candle wicks which burned still, even now, produced very little lighting, but the more time I spend in the dark, the more I feel as though... it was supposed to be this way.

Apparently I wasn't the only one.

I could see, I could feel the way everyone seemed to be acting. The darkness wasn't a big deal. Nobody asked why the lighting sucked, nobody questioned that there were no actual light switches in Elysian House. It just was. And everyone was okay with it.

Maya looped her arm through mine. Bradley was walking on my right. I felt almost like I'd been here before. Like this was just another day.

"Man," Bradley whistled as three girls walked by. "One thing I love about the Vampire world is the chicks! All of them are all so hot!"

Maya rolls her eyes. "Typical man."

"You can't deny it, Maya baby!" Bradley said, waggling his eyebrows at Maya. "Girls are hot!" He looks at me and grins. "So, Riley, got a boyfriend?"

Maya sighs and mumbles, "Here we go..."

"No." I said and left it at that. I wasn't afraid of his judgment, just felt like I shouldn't have to say anything. I won't tell anyone anything unless I want them to know.