28 - The Play Is Set

Start from the beginning

"Sounds like someone we know," Freddy mumbled, glancing up and meeting Ray's eyes. Ray tensed though, his skin cold for a moment. Had he killed men like that? Yes. Had he gone on a rampage and just murdered people in cold blood before like that? Yes. And he was damn good at it. But there was a distinct difference between Ray and Vincent that separated them by my miles.

"No. No this guy is different. When Ray kills he's in the moment and just doing a job. This guy.....Vincent killed like he enjoyed it, like it turned him on almost. I'm telling you he's a nutjob. But he may just be the nutjob we need."

Freddy sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, pacing the room as Ray leaned forward and rummaged through the few files Rico had managed to keep on this guy. There wasn't much and that alone made Ray frown. Clearly Vincent wasn't afraid to kill someone so where in their gap of missing information had he turned into a murderer? If he really did grow up away from mafia and away from his father and brother shouldn't he have turned out more.....normal?

What the hell had happened to him and turned him into a man who got pleasure from taking life?

"Okay so great, we use Vincent to get to his father and expose Sammy that way when Sammy dies, it's a family affair, and not an Outfit one. Anyone who questions his death or wants to take revenge, both Vincent and Daniel will be there to tell them to stand down."

As they broke it down it all sounded like a wonderful plan. They still had to figure out how they were going to pull it all off, but plays were being set in motion and so far, their little team of outlaws were on top of the game.

So why wasn't Ray comfortable? Why did he feel like something was going to go wrong or there was something about Vincent that they weren't seeing? Something about Danny's involvement that they still weren't seeing?

Why the hell was he so on edge still?

"Hey." Ray looked down and let out a breath he didn't realize hed been holding. Rowan could see it in his stance that he was tense and she sighed, reaching forward and squeezing his hand gently.

"We got this," she whispered.

"What if he says no Row? What if he refuses to help or worse, he rats us out before we can get close enough to finish the job?"

"Then we handle him and anyone else who gets in the way. Come on Ray, I know you're upset about your girl finding out who you are and being involved, but that's not something you can fix. You're Charlie Brown. The Outfit's best and youngest hitman. Before you killed for the hell of it, and you were pretty damn good at it. Imagine how good you're going to be now that you're fighting for something."

Rowan squeezed his hand in encouragement and Ray squeezed hers back. She was right. Ray wasn't gonna drop his guard, but he wasn't gonna chicken out or let his worries intimidate him either.

Hopefully, all would work out, but, if it didn't, it didn't matter. Ray would be damned if anyone got in the way of what he needed to do.

Sliding the files to the side Ray looked up at two out of the only three men left in the world who didn't want to put a bullet to his head. If Gage were here, the team would be complete.

And as small as they were, they all were probably just crazy enough to pull this off.

"The play is set, but now we need our gameplan. We need to figure out how to get into Sammy's and get proof because there's no way Daniel or Vincent aren't gonna want proof. Rico, if what you say is true and Vincent found you the first time, then all we have to do is ask around and he'll come to us again on a silver platter. From there we get him on our team and use him to get close to Daniel. Sammy will be watching us so we've got to keep our heads down but his blow up at the restaurant will keep him in the shadows for a while. That has to be on every news channel in Chicago so we've got some time before he can afford to make another public attack."

"What happens if Vincent finds us before we get the proof we need?" Rico asked and Ray clenched his jaw. There were still a lot of holes he'd yet to fill in with this plan, but he couldn't waste his time worrying about the what if's. Sammy had made his move and now it was time for them to make theirs.

So, with a little bit of confidence and maybe a little arrogance too, Ray shrugged his shoulders.

"Then we bluff until we can get it. At the end of the day no matter how this goes down or what steps we take to get there, I'm cutting the head off the snake. I'm killing Sammy Vino."

*********************************

Hope you guys enjoyed the treat! And because I don't say it enough, thanks to everyone who still reads this story despite my terrible grammar mistakes but, alas, I am about to begin editing so it should get better soon lol. In the picture above is Rico, played by the male model Victor Ross.