School: 6:45 AM

I sat outside waiting for those big doors to open. I peered into the glass on the doors and saw people, like teachers, roaming around, talking to each other. I feel a weird presence as I look into the glass.. Almost like... someone is watching me..

"Hi!" A girl said next to me.

I wanted to scream, she scared me so much.

Hello, I'm Mute. You can't hear me, and that's okay. I'm a new student 7th grader who moved here 2 days ago.

I wrote that down quickly and gave it to her on a piece of paper.

"Why can't you speak?" She said as she handed the piece of paper back.

Wrote: I have dysfunctional vocal chords. If I try to speak, you won't like what you hear. If you write down your phone number, I won't have to keep writing. Instead I will text it.

I handed the strip of paper back.

"Oh, well, I'm Kokono. I'm a 7th grader as well. I've been at this school for a year now. I can show you around?" She smiled and wrote down her number.

I quickly added it into my contacts and wrote her name as "New Friend Kokono" because I knew she would be useful to my journey.

Texting: Yes, showing me around would be pleasant. I try talking with my hands too, to try and emphasize on what I'm saying. I really like you, Kokono, can we be friends?

"Sure, but you'll need to meet some of my friends. They'll be sure to like you."

The bell rung and Kokono grabbed my hand.

"Follow me, I'll show you to the principal. He can get everything set up."