Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

This makes me blanch. Why Kaden is bad? How bad could this city be, that would make me think differently about Kaden? By the look on Kace's face, he doesn't seem pleased with himself that he said that.

I went to say something, but Kace stood, pushing his chair back noisily.

"Tomorrow Mara, we shall see the city." And with that, he left the room.

💙••💙

The rest of my day was spent in my room. Not once did I hear from Kaden. Instead, I read a book, and wished I was a character within it, where the protagonist has no issues to deal with.

When my door did open, I was disgusted to see Coen on the other side.

Sitting up from where I lay on my bed, I set my book down. The grin on his face is sickening, as he stares at me blatantly. I've never been more glad for the modest clothing I have been left, as it feels as though his gaze is stripping me bare.

"Am I disturbing you?" He asks gently. Shaking my head, I swing my legs from the bed, so I'm in a less vulnerable position.

"What brings you to my room?" I question. I try my best not to cringe, hoping I didn't press that too hard.

He steps fully into the room, before closing the door firmly behind him. Thank the Moon Goddess he doesn't lock it, or I think I might have begun hyperventilating.

"I wanted to talk," he tells me.

He wanders over, sitting beside me on the bed. It sinks under his weight, and I try my best not to fall into him. Hopefully he doesn't catch on to how tense I am right now.

"It's hard not having a mate...I'm sure you are aware-"

Not really.

"And I want you to know that I'm always here," he murmurs. I jump, as he lays his palm on my upper thigh. I stare at it for a movement, wondering if I should slap it off, or keep to the plan that I've formulated in my head.

"If you ever need...a release," he continues.

My teeth clench, but the pleasant smile on my face remains.

But for a moment, I glance into his eyes, and see a flicker of pain there. He's lonely; it dawns on me. He lost his mate, and it has turned him into a bitter, destructive person.

I shake that from my head. He stole his own parents away before he was rejected. He has been a sadistic freak much before Althea came into his life.

"I've always seen you as the only person I trust here," I say. Not always, but at the start I did.

He smiles at this. "You can come to me for anything."

I refrain from asking him the question. Where are you parents? He would never in a million years tell me. I just need to keep to the plan on my mind.

Before I could initiate the plan, Coen leans over the bed, and kisses me straight on the mouth.

At first, I'm surprised. Then disgusted. Then nauseated.

As Coen moves his lips against mine, I notice how roughly he is going about it. And instantly, my heart falls as I realise he's the one who wants the release.

I nearly gag right there, but I stop myself, as the hand not on my thigh moves up, caressing the side of my face. My eyes aren't closed naturally, but squeezed shut, as I try to endure the torment that has currently ceased my stomach.

Suddenly, his hand pushes my shoulder, so I can't help but fall back onto the bed-especially with his weight atop me.

Fear kicks into first gear, as he runs the tips of his fingers down my side. Is he crazy? I silently beg for Kaden, but he doesn't come.