Chapter One

Word Count: 1675

~Mara

I pull the edge of the curtain away from the window slowly, peering out onto the street. It's getting dark out, the moon illuminating the deserted sidewalk.

Everyone's doors are closed, their curtains drawn. Their gates are locked, and their kids kept safely inside. Everyone is on high alert, like they are every night.

I sigh deeply, my breath fogging up the window I look through. I rub it away with my sleeve, so I can see again. Except, there is nothing to see. There never is, because unlike other Packs, all life here on the streets dies off at night.

Why? Because my Pack, the Purity Pack is afraid of the Vengeance Pack. Not necessarily the Vengeance Pack as a whole, but their leader, Alpha Kaden.

And we have a good reason to fear him. He has kidnapped innocent girls from our Pack. No one knows what has happened to them, but many think he kills them for fun. He also kills our criminals. Anyone who breaks the law is the Discipline Packs business. But anyone who kills is Alpha Kaden's business...He has made that obvious.

"Mara, get away from there."

I am suddenly pulled back from the window. I stumbled away, seeing my mother angrily pull the curtains shut again. She turns to me, hands on her hips.

I love my mother, but sometimes she can be way too over protective. Not as bad as my father...He is a vicar.

"Mother, it's fine," I assure her. "No one saw me."

She sighs, running a hand down her face.

"They might have...What if Kaden saw you?" she asks sternly. I roll my eyes.

"Well I wouldn't know if he saw me, because I don't know what he looks like," I tell her, my voice raising. Mother narrowed her eyes at me. She hated the thought of me knowing things about Kaden. His identity is still unknown to me. He could walk by me in the street, and I would be completely oblivious.

And the worst thing is, she won't tell me why I can't know about him. I gather fragments from girls at school, but their parents are just as strict. On a good day, I might find out whether he has killed or not. Sometimes, when it is just mother and father awake, I might sneak down to listen in on their conversation. That is how I found when girls started going missing around the town.

"Mara, please. Don't be difficult," mother says, exasperated. I fold my arms over my chest. To say I am sick of being holed up every night is an understatement. I feel like I am part of the Discipline Pack. The only thing that has kept me sane has been my phone. A friend of mine from the Passion Pack tells me snippets of her life to kept me entertained.

I bet she is going out tonight. I mean, it is a Friday.

"Everything okay in here?"

I turn, to see my father walk into the room. It has been raining outside, I don't remember seeing that when I was looking out. He takes off his soppy coat, and lays it on the bench.

Our house isn't very big, which makes spending majority of my life in here even worse.

"Nothing-"

"I caught our daughter peeking out the window again," mother cut me off. I glare at her. She always seems to get me in trouble with Dad. He frowns at me.

"Kaden isn't going to be out there. You're over reacting when you tell me he is," I say angrily. I see father look over at me, to mother. He motions with his head for her to leave, because he knows how easily her and I argue.