Prologue

A/N: Please tell me what you think. Feedback is welcomed.

Grayson Dolan lazily swished around a clear glass filled with a strong brown liquid. His long fingers completed wrapped around the cylinder as he brought it to his lush lips and took a swig. The Adam's apple in the center of his neck temporarily repositioned as he swallowed the fiery substance.

He winced before letting out a quiet whistle. Gray set the now empty glass down on a coaster then sat back on the sofa he resided on. Sitting next to him was his lifelong best friend and twin brother, Ethan. The dark haired stud appeared to be dozing off in the middle of the swaray they were attending. After a few too many drinks, he got tipsy. Grayson was there to make sure none of the adults roaming around caught his brother while intoxicated.

The Dolan twins had always been thick as thieves since the second they came out of the womb. Since diapers, the boys have been companions that meshed together in perfect sync. Their mother owns a well known hair salon in town and their dad is on the police force. Their older sister, Cameron is preparing for her senior year in high school while the boys are just Sophomores. In the small, lakeside town of Manchester Bay, the Dolans are pretty well known. Ethan and Grayson, even though very young, are considered some of the most popular teenagers around.

Grayson's the fun loving goof ball in the group. He loves having fun, pulling pranks, and telling jokes. In some ways, he brings sort of a comedic relief to the popular crowd. He had recently began playing basketball for the high school team. It was new sport for him, but he had tons of potential. On the other hand, there was Ethan. Similar to his brother in many ways, but also very different, Ethan's sort of known as the guy that you want to bring home to your parents. He makes good grades, has perfect conduct, and has had his future mapped out since seventh grade. He's been off the market for years; his girlfriend, Julie, has his heart. Ethan and Julie were on their way to becoming a top tier power couple in town. Many people could see them being the Prom King and Queen when they became seniors.

The event they were attending was the annual Labor Day Barbecue hosted by Mayor Amanda Aiono. Bodies ventured around and socialized, all covered in comfortable summer clothes.

From where the twins sat, they had a pretty good view of everything in the Aionos' pricey home. Ethan was mostly trying to fight is drunkeness, but Grayson observed it all. He saw his dad speaking with a bunch of the men, they all had their drinks in hand and cigars being chewed. His mother, along with some of her friends, were gossiping near the stairs in the modern style house. A bunch of his classmates were in attendance, Manchester Bay's a small town, everyone seemed to know everyone.

Grayson was just about to ask one of the caterers to refill his glass with a bit more Scotch when his eye caught someone.

Across the room, with the mayor and a bunch of other adults, was his good friend Alex Aiono.

"Dude," Gray nudged Ethan. "Is it me, or does Alex look different?" he asked, staring at the slightly smaller guy across the room.

"What do you mean?" Ethan's groggy voice asked.

"I don't know, he just looks like he got older or something." Grayson couldn't quite put his finger on it.

"Gray, I don't know if you're aware, but biology's proven that people change. He was away all summer, he was bound to come back looking a little different." Ethan said back in a sluggish tone.

"Clearly." Gray continued looking until coincidently, Alex glanced his way. Alex was just becoming a sophomore like the twins and most of the people in their inner circle. To avoid any awkwardness, Grayson tore his eyes away and whistled for a caterer to refill his glass.