III. You Do Look Really Good

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes which he took notice of.

“What’s with the eye roll?  I’m trying to be nice.” He states firmly

“I haven’t changed.  No one gave me the time in school to get to know who I am.  You are only commenting on my appearance Harry.  That is the only thing about me that has changed.”

“Well, I have changed, Niall.  I am not the same guy I was back then.  I am no longer only worried about my image and popularity.  Zayn too.  We were just really shocked at the bar and didn’t really know how to react.” He says and inches his fidgeting fingers closer to where my hand rested on the other side of the counter.

“That’s good Harry.  I am glad that you two have grown up but you surely have to understand why I am not all excited about becoming friendly with you.” I retorted and pulled my hands off the counter and away from his approaching fingers.

“Well for what it is worth, I hope that we can begin having a friendship.”

“We’ll see, I guess.” I say and shrug my shoulders.

There were a few minutes of awkward silence before it was broken by Harry.

“So…..will you…um….be performing at The Oakwood again?” He said referring to the bar I performed at last night.

“You were really great, Niall.  I was blown away.  Your voice is amazing and has a smooth tone to it and you certainly are quite the lyricist.  That song you wrote was beautiful and arranged really well.  I was quite impressed.” He said.  I just looked at him strangely.  He was talking like he was writing a review.

“Oh” he said with a chuckle when he took notice to my expression.  “Zayn and I are assistants to James Maddox.  He runs Maddox Entertainment.”  My mouth dropped. 

“Uh…yeah.  I know who James Maddox is.  Wow.  I’m actually really impressed.  How did the two of you snag such a great job?”  I asked.

“Zayn and I both have a degree in Music Business and interned at Maddox Entertainment and were lucky enough to be hired as his assistants when we graduated.  What did you get your degree in? And why did you choose to work in a record store if you don’t mind me asking.”

“I got my degree in Music.  And I certainly had offers for careers with record labels or management companies, but I really wanted to focus my energy on becoming a musician so I decided that a non stressful job would be the way to go and I would try to make a name for myself doing small shows and such.” I replied.

“Well you certainly are talented, Niall.  I don’t do anything with the A and R side of the business, but I can certainly have someone from the company check you out at your next performance.  I mean, if you would like that.”

“Are you kidding me!” I exclaimed.  “That would be amazing!  Thank you so much, Harry” I say with a smile and come out from behind the counter to hug him.  This was the Niall that everyone knew from university and I was allowing Harry, a bully from my high school, to see.  He accepted the hug with a slight laugh.  I pulled away quickly

“Sorry” I began with a shrug.  “I’m a hugger”

“I don’t mind at all.” He replied with a smile.  “So when is your next performance?”

“Next Friday at The Oakwood.  I go on around half nine.”

“Great.  Well I’ll see if one of the A and R reps can be there.  I’ll be there for sure.”  Just as he finished the front door chimed signaling someone’s entrance into the store.

“Hello.” I greeted the new customer.  “Let me know if I can be of any assistance” I called to them to which they just nodded. I then returned my attention back to Harry.

“Thank you so much, Harry.  That would be really great if a rep could be there, but I won’t be disappointed if they can’t make it.  I know they have busy schedules.” I said while rocking back and forth on my feet.

“No problem Niall.  Just think of it as me making up for high school.  I am really sorry, again.  I wish I took the time to get to know you.”

“It’s fine Harry.  I know I really didn’t allow anyone the chance to get to know me.” I reply.  “But I should probably get back to work.”

“Oh, yeah…right.  I won’t keep you any longer.” He replies.  “See you Friday night, I guess.”  He says and leans in to give me a hug.  I gladly return it.

“Yeah” I reply while still embraced in the hug.  “I’ll see you Friday.”  We pull away but his hands are still on my hips.  I look at him with a cocked brow.

“You do look really good, Niall.” He says and slightly squeezes his fingers into my hips and then releases me and walks toward the front door.  He turns before he exits, waves back to me and winks.

I return to my place behind the counter.  I certainly can recognize when someone has an interest in me and Harry is unquestionably showing signs that he is interested.  But I don’t think I want to go there.  I still have the memories from high school and I don’t think I can trust, yet, that he has changed. 

He is a great deal nicer than I remember him being back then but he may just be putting on an act to get what he might want from me.  He was known as the love em’ and leave em’ guy.  He was also very, very straight.  Or so everyone thought.  I can’t deny that he is really good looking, but I don’t think I will allow anything remotely romantic to happen between us.

I stop my over thinking regarding Harry and move on to thoughts of possibly having an A&R rep be at my performance on Friday.  I have to figure out what covers to do and what song of mine I will perform.  I guess I can use all day tomorrow to work it out. 

I am pulled from my thoughts as a customer places a couple of cd’s on the counter.  I begin the process of cashing the customer out.