John Doe: Chapter 1

At a first glance, John was staring at his blank desktop for hours now. 5 hours he sat there, just staring, only letting himself blink once. On a closer look there was actually something on his desk. A tiny speck, which was actually a single sugar crystal. He had figured by looking at it that it was sucrose, not fructose. Then he had pieced together the molecular formula, which he had assumed was 12 carbon atoms, linked to 22 hydrogen atoms, which was linked to 11 more oxygen atoms. He figured out the order of which the atoms were linked together, and actually sucrose seemed to be just glucose and fructose molecules linked together.

The sugar crystal only weighed .03 milligrams. He was going to find carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms in the air, piece them together in exactly the right order to form the molecule, then build the molecules up to make a perfect identical sugar cube using only his thoughts. John thought, they made this stuff look easy on television.

He shut his eyes for the first time in a long time, he embraced the darkness. In his head he pictured the atoms bouncing around him, he would have to move his mind at their speed to be able to grab them. Slowly he flexed his thoughts outwards, grasping for the right atoms. Sugar should be one of the easiest things he could make, but he had failed several times now. This time he was not going to stop until he had another sugar crystal sitting on the table.

He had found the atoms and gripped a hold of them with his mind, he strained and willed them to come to him. He felt the tug on his mind lessen as they all culminated around him. He found the atoms he needed and slammed them into each other to form the bonds. One after one the atoms started to come into place, then molecules took their place. Usually his mind failed here, but not today. Today came with the focus of a monk trained in the himalayas to be perfectly still, even when set on fire. He would create the crystal today, because it s what he desired, and he would be satisfied. He brought the molecules down to the surface of the desk, and started stacking them and building the crystal up. They didn t want to be what he wanted, but he would make sure they would become exactly what he desired them to be.

He opened his eyes. There on the table, was a sugar crystal, and right next to it, was a sugar crystal that looked exactly the same. He had done it! 200,000 years of human evolution culminating to this single act of raw power. He had created something literally out of thin air. He did something that most men had decided to leave up to god. Upon a closer inspection the crystal was exactly the same, in every way. Molecularly is was beautiful, the closest thing to perfection that he had ever seen. John was entranced with a simple sugar cube. But it was only simple to the untrained eye, to John it was the start of his life.

The sugar crystal exploded and knocked him back into the wall 7 feet away. John had exactly 2.5692 seconds of consciousness before everything went black.