Who, Me? Jealous?

The next day at Royal Prep, Princess Hildegard was showing off her new ruby necklace. She was very happy that everyone liked it.

"It was my mother's necklace," Hildegard boasted. "Isn't it the most beautiful thing you've ever, ever seen?"

"It's very pretty, Hildy," Clio smiled.

"Of course it is, Clio," Hildegard said haughtily. She saw Hugo waiting by the gate and called, "Oh, Prince Hugo, what do you think of my new ruby necklace?"

Hugo looked at Hildegard's ruby necklace and said flatly, "It's very nice, Hildegard."

Sofia and her older brother and sister, Amber and James, came through the gate.

"Hey, Sofia," Hugo waved, going up to her.

Everyone saw Sofia wearing her beautiful new dress and pink amulet.

"Wow, look at Sofia!" Princess Lakshmi gasped.

Everyone ran over to Sofia, ignoring Hildegard. They were all swooning over how beautiful Sofia looked with her new gown and amulet.

"Sofia, look at you," Princess Zooey gaped.

"Pretty dress," Kari remarked.

Hildegard walked over to see what the fuss was all about. She noticed how beautiful Sofia's new dress was, and she saw Sofia's new pink amulet.

"Sofia, I love your amulet," Princess Vivian gushed.

"Thank you," Sofia smiled.

"It's the prettiest necklace I've ever seen," Lakshmi remarked.

Hildegard was horrified to hear that. She thought her ruby necklace was the prettiest anyone has ever seen. She looked at her ruby necklace and then Sofia's ruby pink amulet. The amulet really was beautiful, and that made Hildegard very jealous of Sofia.

"Sofia, I see you have a new gown and necklace," Hildegard declared.

"She sure does," Hugo smiled. "The color of the amulet really brings out the color of her lips and cheeks."

"Thanks, Hugo," Sofia smiled. She was so flattered by Hugo's remark that her cheeks turned an even brighter pink.

"Aw, Sofia, your cheeks even match your amulet," Princess Adara cooed.

Everyone giggled—except Hildegard, who dramatically stomped away, green with jealousy. She looked at her ruby necklace again, and she thought about Sofia's amulet—that's what got Sofia to steal everyone's attention.

"Sofia's amulet is very beautiful," Hildegard told Clio.

"But that doesn't mean your ruby necklace is less special and beautiful," Clio reminded Hildy.

"But it doesn't bring out any color on me," Hildegard protested.

"Well, the ruby really brings out the color of your lips, and it stands out from your gown," Clio declared.

Hildegard thought about what Clio said. It was true that the ruby red color stood out from the color of her Hildegard's gown—but she had something else in mind.

"You're right, Clio—the color of my necklace brings out the color of my gown," Hildegard nodded. "But I think the pretty pink color of Sofia's amulet would do the job even better."

"But this is your mother's necklace, Hildy," Clio reminded her. "There's no way your parents would let you get another one."

"I'm not thinking about asking for another necklace," Hildegard told Clio.

Clio felt like she knew where this was going. "But there's no point in asking Sofia if you could borrow her amulet," she told Hildy. "She never takes it off."

Hildegard thought about it—and she had a very nasty plan. "Well, if Sofia won't take it off and let me wear it, there's only one thing I can do," she smirked.

Clio didn't like where this was going. "Oh, no," she gasped. "You don't mean..."

Hildegard nodded—she decided that if Sofia won't let anyone wear her amulet, she'll just have to take it off Sofia without her knowing it.

"Sofia does a little yoga before gym class is over," Hildegard explained. "When she's in the full lotus with her eyes closed, I'll get the amulet off her."

"Hildy, that's a horrible idea," Clio protested. "If you steal Sofia's amulet, she's gonna be really mad."

"Oh, Clio, I'm not stealing the amulet—I'm just borrowing it," Hildegard scoffed.

"Without asking," Clio pointed out.

"Sofia doesn't have to know," Hildegard protested.

"But I'd know," Clio argued.

"Trust me, Clio," Hildegard urged. "Promise me you won't tell Sofia about this."

Clio thought this was wrong, but she knew Hildegard wouldn't listen to her, so she said, "All right."