Chapter Five

"It's been seven days," Kipp said with satisfaction, "and lightening hasn't struck yet. I tell you, the Caretaker was bluffing."

Four of them, Tony, Neil, Brenda, and Kipp, were hanging out in the school parking lot next to Kipp's car. The early summer was showing no sign of an early departure. Heat radiated off the asphalt in rippling waves. A film of sweat had Tony's shirt glued to his chest and he was having a hard time imagining that in less than fifteen minutes he would have to start working out on the track.

The week-old event to which Kipp was referring was the appearance of the second command in the Times. It had employed initials rather than a name but otherwise it had been like the first, brief and to the point.

K.C. Flunk Next Calculus Exam

Kipp had gone right ahead and gotten an A on the test.

"No time limit was put on when you would be hurt," Neil said, brushing brown hairs off his shoulders. The diabetes or the stress or simply bad genes had him shedding like crazy. Tony was worried about him. Neil had been out of school all last week and he'd dropped five pounds from his already famished frame. He'd had the flu, he said, and was having trouble sleeping.

Kipp laughed. "It was a joke, isn't that obvious?"

"I hope all this blows over before the play opens," Brenda said. "Neil, I saw you at our rehearsal this morning. What did you think?"

Neil beamed. "I thought you were wonderful. I left laughing."

Brenda fairly lit up. "Thank you. How sweet."

"I really like Alison as Alice," Kipp had to go and say. "That girl's got talent. You can see it just in the way she walks across the stage." He patted Brenda on the back. "I think you're great, too."

Brenda's lightbulb dimmed. "But not as great as Alison."

"Now I didn't say that."

"She has better lines than me! She's the star! What am I supposed to do? It isn't my fault that fat phony teacher thought I didn't look the part."

"Please," Kipp said, "let's not start this again. You're a fine actress. Alison is a fine actress. You're both fine actresses. In fact, you are probably the finer actress."

"You mean my style is not dramatic enough. That's what you mean, I know."

Kipp groaned, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "Look, let's fight about it on the way home. I'm tired of standing in this oven."

Brenda folded her arms across her chest. "I'm not going home with you. Who said I was?"

"I give you a ride home every day. I assumed . . ."

"Well, you assumed wrong, porpoise nose!" Brenda whirled and stalked away.

"I love you, too!" Kipp called. He shook his head. "I sort of hope the Caretaker is for real. Maybe he could scare her out of a few personality quirks." He climbed in his car, fastening his seat belt.

"Can I have a ride?" Neil asked. He usually walked home. His leg must be bothering him.

"Just don't ask me to comment on your talents," Kipp said, starting the car. Neil got in the front seat.

Tony leaned on the open window. "I notice you're buckled up. Since when did that start? Last week, maybe?"

Kipp was not amused. "I've always worn a seat belt." H e put the car in reverse. "Have fun killing yourself in practice."

"Thanks," Tony nurtured, not sure if he was being insulted. The care heaved back and charged forward, jumping the first speed bump, heading toward the steep exit at the reer of campus.