A Heart For A Heart

A/N: My first ever Law fic. I was just laying in bed this morning after I woke up and for some reason this idea popped into my head and I honestly have no idea how it turned into this. I feel like I did not get Rosinante's character right. And why do my oneshots always end up being longer than I intend?

For the purposes of this story, I'm going to make both Corazon and Doffy slightly older than they actually are—two years-ish older.

And, can you guys catch why I chose the name I did for my OC? Hint: Look at why Rosinante is named the way he is.

***

[Altisidora, Age 6; Rosinante, Age 24]

"I want you to listen to me very carefully," started Rosinante, his head tilted downward so he could speak to the small blonde girl in his lap.

"Okay, papa," she said with a nod as she stared up at her father intently.

"When people ask you what your name is, I don't want you to use my name. You should use your mother's instead." Altisidora furrowed her brows.

"I don't get it." Rosinante, pushed a strand of her hair back behind her ear.

"Don't tell people that your name is Donquixote Altisidora."

"Why not?"

"Things that you can't know about yet are happening. And if they keep getting worse then that name is going to get you into a lot of trouble." Altisidora blinked up at Rosinante. She didn't fully understand what he meant, but she was her father and she trusted him so she would listen.

"Okay," she said. "I won't."

"Promise?" He asked her. She nodded.

"Promise."

***

[Altisidora, Age 7; Rosinante, Age 25]

"Papa!" Squealed Altisidora as she pulled on the back of the collar of her father's marine uniform. She kept a firm grip on the piece of clothing as he sat himself up. She climbed back up to her previous position, seated on Rosinante's shoulders with her hands laid flat on top of his head.

"Are you okay, papa?" She asked him.

"Of course, Alti," he reassured her as he stood up, his stature bringing her up very high off the ground. "You don't need to worry about me." She couldn't see his face, but she knew that he was smiling. He smiled a lot when he was with her.

He continued his walk down the corridors, stopping when he got to the door of the office of a very important man. He knocked and went in once given permission to enter.

"Gramps!" Altisidora happily as she bounced up and down, which, from her current seat, only encouraged her father's inherent clumsiness and caused him to fall face flat on the floor—again. She quickly hopped off of her father and started tugging on his uniform from beside him.

"Are you okay, papa?" She asked him.

"Yup," he said, his voice muffled by the floor, while giving her a thumbs up. Altisidora continued tugging on the clothing, as if she had enough strength to pull him up on her own. Once he was back up and she had assured herself that he was okay, she ran over to the seated man that she had called her grandfather and jumped onto his lap.

"Would you like a rice cracker?" He asked her, offering one to her. She grabbed it, giving her thanks and started to nibble on it as she watched the two men talk to each other.

"Is everything ready?" Her father asked the man. "All the paperwork?"

"Done," he replied.

"Thank you, Sengoku," he said with a nod before turning his gaze over to the little girl who was now looking at him with her head tilted to the side. "Alti," he said softly. The seriousness in his face was completely gone and had been replaced by a gentle smile. She shoved the rest of the rice cracker in her mouth before jumping off of her grandfather's lap and heading toward her father. After her first three steps, she tripped on nothing and fell forward face flat on the floor.