Chapter 7: The wicked witch of the west.

Chapter 7

RILEY

          "Change," Harper says out loud, her eyes dramatically scanning the vicinity. "I want you all to write about an event, a moment that changed your view on something or someone. Write about that moment of realization. What did you do about it? What didn't you do about it?"

          She saunters through the row of desks, her hands having a mind of their own as she continues giving us our assignment.

          I listen attentively, not bothering to write it down on a piece of paper as my peers were. I'm sure I'd remember it later on.

          Just then the bell rings, alarming us to quickly pack up our belongings. We all do so in a hurry because it's a Friday and all we really want to do is get out of this dreadful hole.

          "I want it on my front desk, two weeks from today. Have a nice weekend!" Harper kindly smiles at everyone before they start exiting the classroom.

          I sling my backpack over my shoulder, take my English textbook between my arms, and follow suit of the students.

          "So, are you going to write about how when you first laid your eyes on me, it turned your world upside down?" A voice I've come to know so well slyly says, a side grin appearing.

          I roll my eyes and let a sarcastic comment roll off the tip of my tongue naturally. "What, no 'what the hell was that'?" I lift my eyebrows up, and glance at him impassively.

          Our last encounter wasn't pleasant, and if I do say myself I'm quite impressed that I'm not ignoring him out of spite, or running him over with my car but then I remember that denting it is not worth it.

          Not even for Lucas Friar.

          He holds up his hands. "Yeah, yeah, yeah." He dismisses.

          "You were like the Hulk- "

          "Hulk?" He amusingly chuckles. "You're comparing me to an over masculine, short tempered, green man?"

          I snap my fingers. "That's exactly what I'm saying."

          He snorts lightly, mindlessly running his hands threw his hair. "Common," he nods his head to the side.

          "Are you leading me to my death?"

          He looks at me in disbelief. "I'm giving you a ride home, Riles."

          I frown deeply. "Don't call me Riles. We're not there yet." I cynically respond.

          He smirks. "Miss Matthews, are you implying that you want us to be there?"

          "Pft," I scoff, "like I would want to go anywhere with you."

          "So, ride home?"

          "Actually, I'm not going home. I have a shift in about half an hour."

          He stuffs his hand in his pocket and takes out his keys. "Great, half an hour to kill. You hungry?"

          And as if on cue, my stomach grumbles, making the circles of my cheeks turn a light shade of red.

         He laughs through his nose. "Common, I'll buy."

         "Well, I will never say no to food."

         "I heard food!" An unfamiliar voice chimes into the conversation, his presence appearing behind Lucas as he gently slaps his shoulder.