Chapter 5: We were your perfect cliche couple.

RILEY
"This is the last time I'm going to annoy you with this, but are you sure you want to go through with this?" Farkle asks concerned, his forehead creasing when he raises his eyebrows .

We're outside the classroom, and I watch students file inside as I'm leant against the uncomfortable lockers and have my slender fingers wrapped around the thick English book.

I push away from the wall and nod my head at my best friend in assurance. He lets out a defeated sigh, and gestures for us to head into the lesson.

I stayed up almost all night thinking of ways to bring myself up to talk to Charlie Gardner without the image of him and Missy Bradford in each others arms sliding into my thought bubble.

For the first time in over a month I'll will be exchanging words with a boy who broke my heart in the most terrible way. We never talked about what happen.

Yeah, he ran after me but his words went through one ear and out the other because one doesn't simply mistakingly sleep with another girl without a reason.

And yes, he did attempt to call and visit me for the past weeks but I never paid no attention to them. I was angry. Hurt. And maybe, I still am. But my key for revenge is stronger that nothing else really matters.

He should feel how I felt.

So, with that in mind I have the courage to scope him apart from the room. He's in the back, his eyes glued to his textbook and there's a vacant seat adjacent to him.

From my peripheral vision, there's Lucas who's purposely flirting with Missy to prevent her from sitting next to Charlie. It was part of the plan, but when I see Missy giggle as she twirls her hair and her fingers latch onto Lucas arm, I narrow my eyes and look away instantly.

"Take a seat everybody," Harper, our young English teacher, says in a sweet melodic tune.

I smile at her politely, and walk down the row of desks to the seat next to him.

I drop my educational book a bit too harshly that it catches the attention of a few and causes Charlie's head to snap right up.

At the moment, my nerves start to kick in and force myself not to make it obvious. I pull the chair back, and from the corner of my eye I see him stiffen up when he shoots me a fleeting gaze.

I sit down, throw my hair to the back of my shoulders and open up my book, ignoring the burning stare from beside me.

I see a few pair of eyes land on us and I'm not surprised. Apparently we were considered a power couple since he was the quarterback of our schools football team, and I was part of the cheerleading team.

We were your perfect, cliché couple.

But I quit the team because I was not keen on staring at the trolls face during practice and games. And also, watching Missy throwing flirtatious winks at him was not in the top 10 things to do on my bucket list.

It was better off this way. I got to engross my effort in grades with no distractions whatsoever. It's worked so far.

"Hey," Charlie says.

Revenge. Revenge. Revenge.

I dig my nails into my thigh to prevent me from blurting out profanities at him. My lip curls into a fake smile that he knows to well.