6.Troubling Confessions

Louis frowned, so it would seem that both Donovan and himself would have no sure way of having Lhea as their wife. Then again, he should have expected it, a secretary's son and a butler would have little chances of being allowed to marry an heiress when they don't carry any benefits to the company. The man looked over to his left and smirked, looks like he wasn't the only one spying on Lhea.
"Now, what does our dear Mattie need today?" he asked the man next to him.
"The heiress is well raised. Whatever worries you have over her choosing her husband, I assure you, Louis, that you shouldn't fret about it. Unless..." the male looked over at Louis, hazel brown eyes scanning over the tuxedo clad man in front of him.
"It's obvious isn't it? My affections. Matthew, I hope you don't decide to interfere with these marriage matters. You may be our CEO's son, but all of us directly under the Harrisons know your father isn't happy over the fact that he doesn't have full control over the company. After all, he has to report directly to Mr. Harrison before a decision is made, only to have it rejected immediately," the butler said, with a mocking grin.

Matthew sighed before turning around and brushing off his tailcoat, leaving the butler to wallow in his thoughts.

~*~*~

Lhea, after the talk with Caitlyn, had moved on to talk with another man, this time, Donovan, who had immediately approached her the moment she came into his view. The man at hand was, no doubt, delighted that he had her attention once again, and had continued his rather obvious displays of affection. From light brushes against the girl's hand to playing the gentleman, offering to get a snack or a drink for the young miss. Lhea, did notice the affectionate display, but had brushed it off, feeling it awkward to confront her childhood friend on his affections.

"So Don, how has your family been? Irvine certainly seems quite healthy," Lhea commented. The couple had moved to a more comfortable place, choosing to sit around a small tea table to have their little chat.

"Dad's doing fine, at least he's being treated well by your father," Donovan said, resting his head against the palm of his hand. A small smile spread itself on his lips as he gazed into Lhea's light grey-ish blue eyes. "Say Lhea...what would you do if someone...someone close to you, liked you- no, loved you, a lot, in a romantic sense?" he asked, sitting up with his arms crossed. Lhea blinked, not expecting the question.

"Um...well, I guess it depends on how much I like them? I don't know...why are you suddenly asking me this, Don?" Lhea asked, confusion in her tone of voice. Donovan smiled a little.

"Because, Lhea, I love you."

~*~*~

Matthew stood at a far corner, raising an eyebrow when he saw the main couple together. The man combed his dyed silver streaked hair with a hand before moving towards them. He quickly stopped in his tracks when he overheard the confession from Donovan, and with a light chuckle to himself, he turned around, only to find himself face to face with a slightly shorter blonde male.

"Eavesdropping isn't a very nice thing to do, you know, Matthew Troy, I presume?" Nathaniel confirmed, holding out his hand to shake.
"How unexpected, I didn't think that you would have known my name, Nathaniel Skies," Matthew said, shaking Nathaniel's hand brusquely, but firmly.
The blonde male only laughed, before looking over at the couple, Donovan was holding on to Lhea's hands with both of his, while the girl had a look of guilt and doubt.
Matthew narrowed his light brown eyes in interest, observing what Lhea's next move will be. Depending on the situation, he will have to draw a card, after all, he has to befriend the heiress should he need his father to be pleased. 1...2... Lhea finally replied.

"I- Donovan, why, why here of all places? Why now?" she asked, she had shrugged off the male's hands to cross her arms on the table as she stared at her friend in front of her.
"Lhea, you're 18, you don't have to accept my confession just yet. But you see, Lee, there are people competing for your hand-in-marriage, surely you understand that I'm your best bet? After all, you've known me longer than anyone in this room, not even Louis!" his tone was slowly getting louder in desperation. He couldn't bear seeing his future lover in another man's company, she belonged only to him! He swallowed silently as he waited anxiously for Lhea's answer.