She looked over at Clint, who had returned to his solemn self since he had actually smiled at her earlier. It wasn’t like the one she had seen while he was brawling back in Plateau. The smile he had directed at her was much more… personal. Sure, it had been the result of his trying not to laugh at her, but that made little difference at the moment. She needed something enlightening to think about.

Glancing back at Almighty, she breathed a sigh. “I can’t believe we actually made it to the top of that mesa. It seems so surreal,” she said.

Clint nodded. “Yep.”

“It was such a pretty view from up there, too.”

Clint shrugged. It dawned on her that he hadn’t stepped close enough to the edge to really see the view very well.

“Why didn’t you move closer so you could see it all?” she asked.

Clint shrugged again. “I was fine where I was.”

“It was a lot prettier closer to the edge.”
“I’m sure it was.”

Bliss felt a lingering suspicion about Clint Slade. “You’re afraid of heights, aren’t you?” she asked.

“Pshh,” Clint shook his head. “No. Why would I be?”

She could see that he was lying. “You are! I knew you were afraid of something.” She thought a moment. “And yet you risked your life while I was dangling over the edge, your fear of heights and all. You climbed that slope without a moment’s hesitation. Why didn’t you just tell me?”

Clint groaned. “You think I wanna admit that I don’t like heights to the woman I’m supposed to be protecting? How are you supposed to feel safe if you know that I’m a coward like that?”
“You’re not a coward. The bravery I saw on your face was anything but cowardice. No, I think I feel even safer now,” Bliss assured him.

Clint looked over at her but didn’t reply.

“I never thanked you,” Bliss stated.

“For?”
“For saving my life up there. You didn’t have to dive after me like you did, or scold me into holding on when all I wanted to do was drown myself in my fear. You made a big sacrifice for me today, and I want you to know what I’m grateful for it.”

Clint nodded. “Sure.”

They walked along in silence for a while, listening to their own thoughts. The clouds had begun to clear away and specks of blue sky peeked out of the overcast here and there.

She had never felt so deserted in all her life. God really didn’t care about her, and she had been delirious to think that He cared for a moment. The only thing God was good for was making the world go round.
Bliss was jerked out of her thoughts when she stepped on a rock and felt her foot twist sideways. She looked down while a dull ache entered her ankle and her heel lay down on the ground, disconnected from her shoe. She groaned and examined her broken shoe.

“You okay?” Clint asked.

“Yeah,” was all that Bliss could say.

She bent down and picked up the heel to examine it, her eyebrows pulling close together. She wasn’t looking forward to walking home lopsided.

She glanced over just in time to observe Clint taking his boots off.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Can’t have you walking home all catawampus, can we?” he replied.

He held out his boots to her.