Too Mainstream

I rolled my eyes as I saw another guy with that hairstyle.

Yes, that hairstyle. The one where the sides were really thin, but the length varies depending on the guy. Their hair at the top was pulled up, sometimes really long. I didn't even bother researching what it was called. Mohawk? I don't care. I hate it.

Okay, fine. It looked perfectly good on some especially Alexander Cruz, who happened to be one of my former classmates in some of my subjects. But I do think that I'll see him soon in one of my classes. Although it looked good on him, I'd like to pull that hair badly.

Just because it was today's trend, men started to copy that hairstyle. It became too mainstream, and I hated it ever since.

Take for example Selena Gomez's Same Old Love. I loved that song the moment it was released. I began singing it, and it also happened that Alexander was there. That guy. Then he asked me what was that song, and of course, being a good and honest girl gave him a copy of the song.

A week after, almost everyone knew about the song. Alexander hummed the song once, enough for me to hear it. I mentally noted myself to delete that song as soon as possible.

Sure, when he hummed the song, it made me realize that the song was really good. I wanted him to sing that song, but then it became too mainstream. So, goodbye Same Old Love.

Don't start me at The Hunger Games.

Ever since the movies came out, all hell broke loose and almost everyone forgot what the real message of the whole story was. Almost. God, I remembered their tweets about Team Peeta or Team Gale? Well, I'm Team Katniss from the very start.

One guy told me about his perspective about the books and the movies. Guess who? Alexander freaking Cruz. It was a discussion in our Literature class. Being one of the class' outcasts, I found it hard to find a partner. Luckily, he offered his company.

My God, his views were on point with mine except that he was Team Peeta. Ugh, no. I almost said, "Take it back!" because it almost ruined his image on my mind. Good thing that his smile was comforting.

Of course, the dance trends would never-ever-look good in my eyes.

The hardcore EDM that puts the groove on almost everyone's shoes gave me a massive headache. Harlem Shake, Wiggle Wiggle, what more? Want to show off your booty with Twerk It Like Miley? Ah, yes. The Running Man and Trumpets these days that had gone viral due to challenges.

Excuse me for not knowing most of the trend-ish songs today. The only way I knew them was the Internet and Alexander.

Alexander was so hilarious when he danced it one time with some of our friends because of a dare. When he started twerking, I couldn't hide my tomato cheeks, especially when one time he did a frontal to me. I hid my face from further embarrassment.

But hey, my heart was shouting louder than ever.

I never watch the television, so when Alexander blobbed "Edi wow!" my eyebrows automatically formed a crease. I got annoyed at him by saying that for every conversation, but later on apologized for the massive headache he's been giving.

Oh, well. For compensation, he gave me a box of chocolates. Not Ferrero, or Hershey's, or even M&M. They tasted too sweet for me. He gave me a box of Hany, the chocolate small bar that can be bought for one peso. I did give him a hug as thanks and sign of accepting his apology.

But that was a half-assed reason. I hugged him because I wanted to... smell his perfume. It's addicting, like him.

A popular phrase would perfectly fit that moment. Pak ganern.

I always had this hatred for mainstream things. Be it fashion style, books, music, I hated going with the flow. Rather, I liked being in the road less traveled. Once a thing got too mainstream, I started avoiding it.

Alexander Cruz was the biggest mainstream of my life.

Sure, he's handsome-no, dazzling. Is that even applicable for men? Every time I saw him, his face glowed with pure handsome-ness. When we were in our lower years, only some of us totally appreciated his good-looking genes.

And so, I found myself staring at him for long periods of time.

When he had that hairstyle, I wanted to pull his hair badly and fix it afterwards. He disliked people holding his hair, but when I do his face turned into a cute panda that I wanted to pinch badly. Don't tell to others how I wanted to be that close to him.

When he started singing, I was always the first one who listens. Usually accompanied with a guitar, his voice was on another level. He was the melody I've been looking after all this time. I imagined myself leaning against his back while he sang. I liked to sniff his perfume, too. Or him, in general.

We always agreed on most of things. I even wondered how such creature like him could think like me. He also hated too mainstream things, but it wouldn't hurt if he liked some. Some mainstream things were worth loving for.

He was the mainstream thing worth loving for.

He entered a male pageant one time, and he won. Since them, many women had started pinning their eyes on him. He had too many followers and friends on social media that it drove me crazy. I was scared of his security because I found out that he had stalkers.

Since then, I stopped staring at him during classes because I knew many would do that, too. I don't want to be labeled as his fan, nor his overly-obsessed stalker. I contented at imagining him inside my head, replaying most of the moments with him.

I began to set my distance from him. No, I wouldn't fall in love in someone like him. I'd hate myself for loving someone that everyone loves too. He was too mainstream for me.

The gap grew larger and larger, too much that no contact to each other became a norm for us. But damn, he couldn't give my mind rest.

How could I set myself free from this? How could I un-love someone unreachable?

How could I forget the mainstream Alexander Cruz?

Ah, I couldn't at the moment. But time would pass by and soon, I'll forget him. Or so I thought.