(3) The Letter

*********

Recap of (2)

"Come with me." I whisper softly.

She doesn't say anything. Instead she climbs to her feet limply, like a twig ready to be blown away in the storm.

The only difference is the storm already came and snapped her in two.

*********

Song- Open Your Eyes: Andrew Belle

Annabelle POV:

My eyes scan around the room, Declan walking over to the dresser.

"Why did you bring me here?" I don't recognize the sound of my voice, so weak and broken.

"For this," my eyes follow his to the envelope in his hand. He walks across extending it towards me.

"What is it?" I hesitantly grip in in my hand.

"It's from Trevor."

My lips tremble after hearing his name and I force back tears.

I shake my head in confusion, sitting down on the edge of the bed as it becomes hard to stand.

"He wanted you to read it when he left us."

How could he have known to write a letter-

No.

My finger tears at the seal, seeing Declan walk towards the door to his room out of my peripheral vision.

"Wh-Where are you going?"

He shifts on his feet, his eyes scanning across mine.

"I thought...you would want to be alone."

"You can stay if you want," I pause gripping the paper tighter in my hands, "I mean it is your room."

I glance back down, cautiously sliding the paper out of the white envelope.

"But do you want me to...stay." Declan asks uncertainly and I glance back up to see him hesitantly standing in the doorway.

"I guess," I mumble, forcing an almost smile but failing miserably.

The paper is folded in thirds, my hands shaking as I open the paper.

It's a letter.

His cursive writing.

I lose it before I read the first word.

A hand is rested in my shoulder, slipping down to circle between my shoulder blades soothingly, "Bella it's okay you don't have to read it now. If it's too much-"

"Don't call me that," I choke on my words as my heart aches. That was his nickname for me and hearing it out of anyone elses lips feels wrong.

Declan pulls his hand away, awkwardly clasping them in his lap, "Sorry. I didn't realize- I- Fuck I should just go-" Declan begins to stand and without thinking my hand grips his arm.

"Stay...please."

Confusion flashes across his face. I'm just as confused myself. I want to break down but I know I have to be strong and read this. If he leaves this room I know I'll just curl up into a ball on the floor in drown in a ocean of tears and I can't allow myself to do that. Because I already know it would be hell to pull me out of that state, if possible at all.

I take in a shaky breath as I smooth the edges of the paper, my lips quivering as I begin to read.

My dearest Bella,