Chapter 12

As soon as Draco had gotten back to his flat after that day with Harry in Diagon Alley, he had owled Andromeda. He wasn't sure what response he'd get, seeing as he didn't really know her, and they'd been on opposite sides of the war that most of her family had died in.

To be sure, her first letter was hesitant, but much like Harry, she seemed to be much too tired to waste energy on hate (although Draco noted that Harry hadn't really seemed tired since the very beginning of the last school year).

In the end, she agreed that it would be nice to get to know him and for him to meet Teddy, but she would prefer if Harry were there as well. Draco had excitedly sent an owl to Harry asking when they could go visit Teddy, and Harry's response had been an enthusiastic 'as soon as possible'.

That was how Draco ended up standing in front of an unfamiliar house, too nervous to knock.

The choice was taken out of his hands, however, when the door swung open and Harry greeted him.

"Draco! Why didn't you knock? Teddy's excited to meet you."

Draco gave a hesitant smile and stepped inside.

"Hi Harry, Hello Andromeda. You're doing well I hope?"

"Yes, thank you. I'll go get Teddy, he'll be thrilled you're finally here."

~*~

He'd really enjoyed visiting with Teddy and Andromeda. She was a very nice woman, and Teddy was hilarious. Plus, Harry had given him a book when he visited! He loved it. He visited Andromeda's four more times, each time with Harry, before it was time for him to go back to Hogwarts.

Harry and Draco had agreed to meet up in Hogsmeade so they could walk up to the castle together. As they walked, they began talking about Teddy's newest habit. The boy had taken an instant liking to Draco, and his hair often became white blonde when they were having a conversation. But every time Harry joined in, it would snap to black, like it often did when Harry visited. His hair had turned into a flashing checkerboard the first day, but had eventually settled on black with a white blonde streak in the front when Harry and Draco visited. Harry also swore that the boy's chin and nose were pointier, but he might have been imagining things.

When they got to the castle, Harry and Draco helped each other set up their classrooms, before going to set up their rooms with all their personal belongings. It was nice to have company. Everything was much more pleasant when there was someone to share chores with and make you laugh.

They played Exploding Snap in Harry's classroom to pass the time before the Welcome Feast, and they were still laughing and brushing ashes from their hair when they entered the Great Hall together and sat down.

Filius led in the new First Years, and they were sorted fairly quickly. Minerva went through the usual start of term announcements, and informed everyone that Professor Longbottom would be joining them again as Herbology Professor and would arrive the next day.

Harry was excited. It would be nice to have another friend around. Maybe he and Neville and Draco could all hang out together. He thought they would get along well, especially if those two wanted to talk about plant properties, or something equally academic that Harry didn't have much to contribute to.

By the end of the feast Harry was feeling extremely content. He was back at Hogwarts where he belonged, talking with Draco, and eating good food. It occurred to Harry later, when he was trying to sleep, that he was actually pleased with how his life was going, and that he wanted it to stay this way. He wasn't sure he'd ever felt that way before.