"Why didn't you invite Alison to this discussion?" Kipp asked. "She wanted to come."

"Did she?"

"Brenda told me she did. And Brenda never lies, usually."

"Brenda's your girlfriend," Tony said. "Why isn't she here?"

"She says she's not scared, but I'm not sure I believe her. I didn't want us to have a hysterical female's opinion to deal with."

"Alison said Fran was the one who was most upset."

"You don't know Fran, she's always upset. She wouldn't even give Brenda the original letter for us to study." Kipp leaned forward and pulled a folded sheet of notebook paper from his pocket. "Brenda copied it down word-for-word. Do you want to read it?"

"Alison repeated it to me twice on the phone. But let Neil read it. Then destroy it. I don't want copies of that blasted thing floating all over the place."

Kipp nodded. "So answer my question: why not have Alison here?"

Tony Shrugged. "At this point, what does she know that we don't?"

Kipp snorted. "Her liking you is no reason for you to be afraid of her. Look, you have no excuse to suffer the usual adolescent insecurities over creatures of the opposite sex. You're built like an ox, have apple pie in your blonde hair, and the flag in your blue eyes. You're as All-American as they make them."

"How do you know she likes . . . Oh, yeah, because Brenda told you and Brenda doesn't lie." Tony's got his All-American head and tried to look bored. Actually, he always felt both elated and annoyed whenever he heard of Alison's interest in him: elated because he was attracted to her, annoyed because she was fascinated with someone who didn't exist. She saw only his image, the guy who could throw the perfect spiral to the perfect spot at the perfect time. If she were to get to know the real Tony Hunt --that shallow insecure jerk-- she would be in for an awful disappointment. Besides, Neil had a crush on Allison and never messed with his friends' girls. Indeed, Neil had asked Alison out a couple of weeks ago. She had turned him down but only because she was busy with drama rehearsals. He would have to get on Neil to try again.

"This is not the time to worry about starting a romance," Tony added, glancing out the window and seeing Neil Hurly limping---he had a bum knee--- his way around the touch football game, his shaggy brown hair bouncing against his old black leather jacket, which he wore no matter what the temperature.

Neil was four years out of the back hills of Arkansas and still spoke in such a soft drawl that one could fall asleep listening to him. They had met the first week of the freshman year, sharing adjoining home room lockers. Tony had started the relationship; Neil had been even more shy than he was now. What had attracted him to the guy had been clear to Tony from the start: Neil's rare country boy combination of total honesty and natural sensitivity. Usually kids spoke their minds didn't give a damn, and those who did care deeply about things inevitably became neurotic and clammed up. Neil was a gem.

"Come right in, the folks are out!" Tony called. Neil waved and disappeared under the edge of the garage. A minute later he was opening the bedroom door.

"Hello Tony, hello Kipp," he said pleasantly, hesitating in the doorway. On the short side and definitely underweight, with features as soft as his personality, he was not a striking figure. Still, his eyes, a clear warm green, and his smile, innocent and kind, gave him a unique charm. If only he'd get a decent haircut and some new clothes, he would be more popular.

"Pull up a chair," Tony said, nodding to a stool in the corner. "Kipp, give him Brenda's copy of the letter."

"Thank you," Neil said, taking a seat and accepting the notebook page from Kipp. Tony studied Neil's face as he read the caretaker's orders. Neil was not as bright as Kipp but he had an instinct for people Tony has learned to trust. He was disappointed when Neil did not dismiss the letter with a chuckle.