Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

His eyes seem to bore right through me, like I was staring death straight in the eyes, but not in a bad way.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! What do you mean ‘you’ve been looking for me’?! Creeper-ish at all?” I said. He laughed and sat down on the ground.

“Sorry, I didn’t really mean it like that. I mean, I have been sent to find you. I was sent here by leader of New Athens, to find you, a half-god in need of training,” he said seriously. I laughed,

“’Yeah, right, me the totally outcast weirdo nerd girl a half-god being scouted by a incredibly hot boy I saw in my dreams. I must seriously be asleep again having one of my crazy dreams. I probably read too much mythology before bed,” I said, babbling on more to myself than to him. I was about to keep talking, but he cut me off,

“Wait, you’ve seen me in your dreams before? What happened?” his face was serious.

“Um . . . Don’t get the wrong idea, it’s like- I mean- um, well, I was falling off a cliff and you were reaching for me and I slipped.” I gave him a sheepish smile. He seemed deep in thought, but did not break eye contact with me. I fidgeted as he seemed to be searching for something in my eyes.

“Do you, you know, always do that with people?” I asked awkwardly. He seemed shaken out of his trance,

“Do what?”

“Umm . . . you know, make eye contact that much with someone . . .” I said quietly, fidgeting again.

“Oh, um, sorry about that, but we need to go.” He stood up, grabbing my hand and dragging me up with him. I snatched my hand away, angry with him.

“Go where, exactly? You haven’t told me anything, so don’t expect me to just go with you and believe what you are saying! I’m not a moron you know.” He looked taken back, but not offended.

“I told you, though, you are a half-god, or well, goddess in your case, and we need to go back to New Athens so that more monsters don’t attempt to kill you and all your friends and destroy the whole school, too.”

I snorted and started to walk away. He followed me.

“What did that mean?” he asked, confused. I stopped and turned to him.

“You said friends. That world in not part of my vocabulary, and never will be, so it would be appreciated if you never called those people,” I motioned to the cafeteria, “ my friends. Oh, and if you could, you know, go away? That would make my life much easier.” I started walking down the hall. He didn’t follow me this time.

“No it won’t.”

I spun on my heels and stared at him.

“What?”

“It won’t make your life easier if I leave. It will only get worse and worse. More monsters will come, and if you somehow manage to escape, they won’t just destroy this place, they will go after your family.” His face was grim, as if he knew exactly what he had just said meant. I stared at him, then smirked. I chuckled softly.

“That’s too bad for them then. No friends, no family. The only person they have to chase is me, and no one can catch me when I run.” I laughed sarcastically. He furrowed his brows.

“Did the monsters-?”

“Cancer. He died of brain cancer. I watched as each day it ate him away. Piece by piece, memory by memory. I watched him die. He died in my arms. He was making dinner, thinking he was better than before, didn’t feel so sick, wanted to surprise me when I got home from track. I got home to find my Papai on the floor, writhing in pain. I held him, told him it was going to be okay, told him I loved him. His last words were ‘Addie, you will grow to be a beautiful goddess, just like your mother. I love you Minha Deusa.’”

“He sounds like a good man, he probably went to Elysium,” he said solemnly.

“Ely-what?”

“Elysium. It’s the best place in the underworld that you can go to after you die.”

I smiled faintly.

“Of course he did, he was amazing.” He looked at me with a sad, understanding look. I stood up straighter and looked him square in the eye. “What is your name, anyway?” I asked. He looked startled.

“Oh, um, Ryan. Ryan McLeary.”

I eyed him them huffed.

“Well, Ryan McLeary,” I said, walking towards him, “take me to this “New Athens”. It’s not like I’ve got anything better to do,” I said, shrugging. A smile slowly spread across his face.

“Alright, let’s go.”

________________________________________________________________________________

NFTA: Okay, so I still need some help on the cover, any ideas? I though maybe you guys would have some better ideas once you got some of the story in your head. I hope you do! Much Love! <3