Chapter 38 - Work on work

Wednesday 2.45pm

Dan's lips were pursed in concentration as his make-up brush skimmed the hollows of my cheeks. For once, he was completely silent, maybe because he was tired, or maybe because he was in Leo's presence, not that that had ever been a problem before. The only sound that could be heard was the indistinct chatter of the other main cast, that had been dotted around the hall in pairs.

I glanced to my left without moving my head as to not disturb Dan's work, to look at Leo, who was staring at me lovingly as my make-up was applied. I smiled, not saying anything to break the silence, and closed my eyes, enjoying the peace.

We were currently set up in Lancaster Hotel in London in one of their striking halls, which had been completely closed up just for us so that we could sit through a whole day of press interviews. Some would come to interview with a whole camera crew, others, just with a microphone and a recorder.

It was our first proper formal interview session for the film, and after having 2 days to rest after the premiere, we were back to work, though, if this was 'work', I didn't mind at all.

"You nervous?" Leo asked after Dan finished and walked out of the room, giving me a kiss on the cheek, and a wave to Leo.

I bit my lip, looking to him as I answered. "Not really, no." Leo smiled at me, a smile which I returned, his twinkling eyes dropping down to my lips quickly, where they lingered before he licked his lips.

"God....I wish I could kiss you right now..." He whispered in a hushed tone. I took a deep breath to steady my breathing - my heart was beating so fast, I wasn't sure if he would ever stop making me feel this way.

"But we can't." I smiled back at him "Imagine the press finding out about it, and there's a whole bunch of them outside that door. Not to mention the others." I looked around at our friends sitting at a distance from us, none of whom were watching us.

"Yeah the press would have a field day with this, let me tell you." Leo started, glancing at the white , beautifully carved double doors in front of us, slightly to our right. "But as for them," he motioned to the others "We gotta tell them sometime soon, right?"

I followed his gaze, "Yeah, we will. Just, let's have this secret a little longer? Okay?" I didn't want it to sound like I was manipulating him or anything, but I wanted this little moment to last just a while longer before the media catch wind of the news, and it'll be impossible to escape their beady eyes.

He nodded once, smirking "Our little secret," he added, placing a firm hand on my knee, squeezing it as my own hand travelled on top of his, and he gripped my fingers in his. The steady opening of the double doors let in a stream of people, eager journalists secretly competing with each other, determined to get the best interview out of us. At the sight of this, Leo let go of my knee, letting out a lone cough as a distraction from what had happened, just in case anyone saw.

"Hello!" A journalist offered a cheery greeting as she approached us and sat opposite us, giving us both a shake of her hand. A man followed her as he carried a camera on a stand and set it in front of us at an angle, so that a side view of the interviewer was seen, as well as us as the main focus.

"My name's Jennifer," I instantly thought of Jenny the receptionist from Jim's studio, and her (excessively many) little stories that she would tell me. I missed that. I missed Jenny. I hadn't seen her since I left Santa Monica for Mexico for filming, so I had to make sure to visit her when I went back home.

"Is it okay if we start?" She asked hopefully, a massive grin plastered on her face, but the slight tremor in her voice hinted at her nerves - she must've fought well and hard to get this job, interviewing for the year's hottest film (not to sound too stuck up, but the film was undeniably breaking records, and had only been released a couple of days).