Chapter 5 - Just terrific

Chapter 5 – Just terrific

AN: First, I didn't realize there were so many Curtis fans out there...pls don't stress at the end of this one guys as there is a completely happy ending for this story! Second, I'll probably post a second update later this week as I'm just too giddy to get to the alternate timeline chapters! ;)

*Please see Chapter 2 for SPOILER ALERT and DISCLAIMER!*

/////////

Curtis grinned at Felicity before turning to Oliver. "It's only fair that you get back-up in the field."

The others also turned to Oliver. After a moment, he grinned and offered a hand. "Thanks Curtis."

/////////

"New wheels too?" Roy asked as he saw the dark van that Curtis walked toward.

While Curtis was eager to share the details, Felicity answered before he could do so.

"Yes, it's a mobile command center with all the bells and whistles any hero needs to save the city. We have all kinds of new toys now thanks to Curtis! Maybe I should have given you a tour before you left but hey, if you rejoin Team Arrow full time then—"

"Felicity." Oliver's growl of her name made even Felicity smile even though she did pause before continuing.

"I was just going to throw in a set of knives that can cut through anything. I think that would be a big draw with this crowd." Felicity replied with a laugh.

Curtis wasn't sure if they realized that she was serious. He jumped in to provide additional information. "We actually have made improvements in the weaponry. The Palmer Tech R&D advances have provided more resilient metals, more responsive diagnostics, and better materials in general. The spheres are just the start—"

Roy provided the next interruption. "Now I see why you want us back. A little less talk, a little more action."

Curtis blinked as he stared at the young man's blank expression. He had been excited to join the Arrow and work but there was no denying that it wasn't the easiest job or the easiest group of people. His adrenaline was pumping but they all acted calm, unconcerned even. While he was still considering just how much death each had witnessed or even caused on other missions, Roy clapped a hand on his shoulder and grinned.

"You have so many lessons to learn. As long as Oliver doesn't shoot you or make you slap a bowl of water, everything will be fine though!" Roy didn't bother to hide his amusement despite Oliver's dark look. He continued grinning as Thea tugged him toward his motorcycle.

Moving toward the driver's side with a confused expression, Curtis found his way blocked by John Diggle. The man made an imposing figure with his arms crossed over his chest...which was twice as wide as Curtis' own. He couldn't help but notice Diggle's arms were thick and heavily muscled as well. When the other man didn't speak, Curtis glanced around cautiously. Oliver was already seated on his bike and his lack of an expression gave no insights. Roy and Thea were still smiling and chatting while they stood by their rides. Since the others seemed to be oblivious, Curtis swallowed nervously and tried to think of how to respectfully address the military man.

Diggle waited a few more moments before simply holding out one hand, palm up. When Curtis remained confused, he spoke to Felicity instead. "Have I already been replaced as the black driver?"

Curtis' mouth hung open as the others, even Oliver, laughed openly. He did quickly turn over the keys and moved to climb in the passenger side. Curtis was still somewhat shell-shocked. The others teased and bantered easily along the drive as if they were on a road trip instead of a serious mission. Only after they arrived did things proceed more seriously with Felicity being the only one to provide status updates over the comms. Once they moved into position close to the shipping plant, it was Oliver who spoke.