02. getting the band back together

En başından başla

"I have," Spencer shrugged, "Leave her to me. You guys get Cisco and Stein and head to STAR Labs to figure out a way to stop this guy."

Iris nodded, Spencer taking it as a sign to go forth with the plan and took a step towards the door. Joe reached out a hand and stopped her.

"Spencer, there's actually something I wanted to talk to you about before you go."

She raised an eyebrow, "What is it?"

~

After conversing with Joe for another few minutes, they and Iris left the precinct; the Wests heading to STAR Labs and Spencer going to Mercury Labs. When she arrived she got a cold shiver down her spine, feeling like she was entering enemy territory. It took her a few wrong turns before she ended up in the part of the lab Caitlin was working on. She knocked on the doorframe to get the brunette's attention.

"Don't you look right at home," Spencer commented with an easy smile as her friend swiveled around in her chair.

"Wow, first Cisco visits me and now you- though we've already seen one another today," Caitlin chuckles lightly.

"Yeah, I heard you two haven't spoken much the last few months," Spencer furrowed her brows as she walked further into the lab.

Caitlin sighed, "Yeah, well, we both went separate ways after the Singularity; me here and him at CCPD. It was hard to face the fact that things were different. With me and you it was easier since you were away, too."

The blonde nodded, sliding into the seat beside her, "So, do you like it here?"

The brunette nodded slightly, "Yeah. It's been nice doing the job I studied for. You know, looking after a superhero wasn't in my original job description."

Spencer chuckled, "I get what you mean."

"Do you miss it?" Caitlin asked, "Being a bio-engineer instead of Barry's personal doctor?"

Spencer scoffed softly at the phrasing. "Sometimes. But thinking back on it, all the work we did was in some way part of Dr. Wells' or Eobard Thawne's evil plan."

Caitlin nodded with a sigh, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"You know we were more than just Barry's doctors, right?" Spencer spoke up again after a few seconds. "We were members of Team Flash. We helped save Central City countless times. That's what I miss- or have begun missing since getting back here."

The brunette chewed on her bottom lip briefly, staring at the counter in front of them, "Yeah, you can't really beat that."

"You got that right," Spencer smirked. She nudged her friend's arm, "So, I don't know what kind of benefits you get here at Mercury Labs, but I think STAR Labs could really use the benefit of two gorgeous, intelligent bio-engineers, don't you think?"

Caitlin looked back at her, thinking the offer over. Before she could respond, Spencer's phone buzzed in her pocket. When grabbed it, she saw a text from Iris on the screen. Apparently, the new meta- what she was calling Atom Smasher- was located and Barry was going after him; alone. Iris told her to get back to STAR Labs ASAP incase Barry was hurt. Spencer swallowed nervously, already preparing herself for seeing Barry for the first time in ages. Caitlin noticed the anxious look on her face.

"What?"

"Um, Barry's being reckless- somethings never change, am I right?" She chuckled nervously and got to her feet. "Think about what I said, okay? We've got to get the band back together."

She heard Caitlin's light chuckle as she exited the room and headed for her car again. The ride to STAR Labs felt like an eternity when it had really been less than fifteen minutes. She hastily parked her car and jogged into the building. After a short elevator ride, she was on the cortex level. As she began walking towards the room, she felt a gust of wind breeze past her. Spencer's eyes widened when she saw Barry feet in front of her, leaning against the wall for support, breathing heavily. Before she could react, he was collapsing to the ground. She rushed over to him, bending down beside him and took his head in his hands. She softly called out to him but his eyes were already drifting closed into unconsciousness. She could have sworn she heard him breathe out her name before passing completely out, but it was too soft to hear.