"Can you send in Bella?" He croaked.

Aleida left the room with a heavy heart. She never wanted to experience something like that again. Slowly leaving the home, she felt relieved when she was met by fresh air. The sweat that clung to her skin glistened in the porch lights making the boys somewhat hesitant to rush towards her. Their naturally heightened body heat wouldn't help her.

Scanning the yard, she met Billy's eyes and sent him a firm nod. It wasn't hard for her to locate Bella, but she couldn't bring herself to look at the girl directly after what everything. Aleida had warned her of the consequences of joining a world where you cannot protect yourself. The pale girl refused to listen.

"He was asking for you," her voice was hard and distant. She kept her firm exterior until the girl disappeared inside.

Blinking back tears, she slumped against the wall of the home, exhausted.

"None of you are allowed to have anything like that happen. Is that understood?" The surrounding people could hear the sorrow in her voice. "I never want to go through this again."

Leah was the first to her side, pulling the girl she considered to be family into her arms. The pack joined soon after. They all needed the comfort after having two of their own face death like that.

"As long as you don't collapse while fighting a bunch of newborn vampires, we have a deal." Paul spoke, humor lacing his features.

Emmett watched from his spot next to Carlisle and the tribe Elders. Witnessing her like this made him, around people she considered family, made him feel guilty about being her choice. He wanted her more than anything, but her family weren't going to accept her decision to be with him.

"Thank you," Sam spoke to Carlisle, breaking Emmett out of his thoughts.

"He would not have made it, if not for you," Aleida continued for him.

Emmett felt jealousy surge through him as his mate and the pack leader shared a look. A conversation seemed to pass between them.

"We have no quarrel with you or your family, but the treaty still stands," Sam finished, surprising everyone other than the Elders.

"In certain respects." Aleida drew his attention back to her. "Which we will need to discuss at the next council meeting."

The wolves stood floored at the situation. Emmett could see the disapproval on a few of their faces, but didn't comment as they continued to process it all.

They all stood in silence as Bella exited the home, tear tracks apparent on her face. Emmett didn't miss the way that Aleida flinched slightly at the sight of her.

"Council meeting?" Sam asked. Confused because they had never discussed a meeting.

Aleida looked back to the elders, a knowing smile on their faces.

"How about we call a meeting for tomorrow night? Or is that too soon?"

Thr pack watched as their elders confired among themselves in silent whispers.

"Tomorrow night."

Aleida nodded and spoke to everyone before making her way to the Cullen's. Ushering them to the woods and back towards the border, she was strangely aware of Bella watching them.

Emmett turned to her when they were out of hearing range.

"Are you hurt?" he his hands moved just above her skin. "Did they touch you?"

She gave him a small grin. "I am simply sore, you need not fret."

The vampire scoffed at her. "Yeah, sure. If I hadn't come to the rescue you would have been dead. Why did you collapse like that?"

Aleida stared at him. She had a feeling he was the one that saved her in the end, she was certain that it hadn't been imagined.

"I was tired. I am not like you, I run out of energy." She ran a hand down his arm. "Thank you for saving me, but we need to get you leeches over the border."

The vampires laughed softly at her and continued across the border.

"Emmett!" Aleida called after him. "Make sure you clean up and get that bed because the boys will probably kick me out for a few days after the meeting."

Emmett stood shocked. He watched as she turned swiftly and disappeared into the night.

·····

|Vote|Comment|Follow|

Unedited