The Twerking Dead

I woke with a start, and jolted upward in my bed. The atmosphere felt... heavier, almost like it was pushing down on my chest. The sky was gray and dismal. No one was outside. I arch my back and stretch my arms high into the air, the blood flowing to my ears, and I yawn. I fish out my phone in my right pocket and check the messages. Seven of them.

Three of them were from Zac, my best friend:

Kat come over have your mom drive you.

Kat it's important you need to get here, now.

It's begun, I'm on my way now. Stay put I'll get you.

Odd, it sort of rustles my jimmies that he's coming to my house, when usually it's the other way around. He never has the sense of urgency in his texts, even in real life. Zac's pretty laid back. The last text was sent ten minutes ago, by car it takes about 20 minutes between our houses, I'll be fine for ten minutes unless he's speeding.

I check the last four messages, nothing important. Just my friend's saying hello. No one really hangs out with me; mostly to vent and smoke. I start the coffee maker, Zac loves coffee and he sounds a bit stressed out. I nearly drop the milk when I hear Zac's fist pound powerfully on the door.

"Kat it's Zac let me in, quick!" I ran down the stairs and opened the door. He runs in and hugs me, tightly. I nearly fell back, which would oddly bruise my back, from the staircase. "Oh my God Kat what the Hell! Why didn't you reply to my messages?"

After rubbing my eyes and adjusting my shirt and simply state; "I was sleeping, why what's the matter?"

"Come upstairs we'll talk about it." I knew he was stressed, it looked like he hasn't slept in three days. Thankfully I made coffee.

"Coffee?" I ask, half expecting him to say of course. I grab a cup from the cupboard and pour some in.

"Yeah, thanks." I hand him the mug. Honestly, coffee is disgusting to me. Your breath smells of it all day and it makes me nauseous. "So.." He swirls his coffee around, making a small whirlpool.

"So.. What? Why did you race here? What's going on that's so important?"

"It's begun." He whispers. Zac looks up, staring into my eyes. The green and amber pools are filled with fear, determination, and maybe a hint of exileration. "The apocolapse."

"The zombie apocolapse?!"

"I don't know what the fuck I saw out there, Kat." He collects his memories. "It... It was fucked up. They weren't like, zombies. They were humans. Remember Miley Cyrus, at the VMA awards a couple years ago? She twerked on Robin Thicke? They were all twerking, Kat."

"You're joking. You're making this up; tha-that's ridiculous!" I nervously stutter.

Zac grips his hands firmly on my shoulders and shakes them back and forth slightly. He whispers; "Kat I swear on Mom's life, I'm telling the truth. You need to stay with me, you're not as strong as I am.."

"What? We're evenly matched!" I retort. He sometimes treats me like a kid, I don't like it.

"No, Kat, we're not. You're slower than me, mentally and physically. You get emotionally attached to things and people. I can manage on my own. No offense Kat, but I'm smarter."

Tears pool into my eyes. "This can't be real. It's not real I haven't woken up yet. You're at home watching your sister and Mom is working and I'm home alone.. Wait. Zac did you see any cars in my drive way when you pulled in?"

"No. Not even your mom's car." I jump out of my seat and check the counter where Mother usually writes notes to me or my older sister. "Kat where are you going?" He asks, distressed. Zac jumps up after I found the note. "Can I see?"

It read; Dear Kat,Hayden and I have left to Aunty Donna's house for a couple days. Natasha is at Farrah's house. Zac texted me that he'll be over in a short while, guessing you're asleep. Well, anyways, bye. Love you, from Mommy. P.S Purrrr.

Tears dropped on the paper. Zac leans over and gently says, hand outstretched; "May I read it?" I sit in a chair and pinch the bridge of my nose trying to stop the tears from flowing. I crack out a sob. Zac looks at me and drops the note on the table. His arms stretch outwards giving me a big hug. "Kat... Oh my god. Your mom disowned you? What the fuck! Natasha didn't even.." He stops talking and lets me cry some more.

Why? Why me and why now? There's twerking zombies and my mom grabs my attention grabbing sister and my autistic brother but not me? What am I supposed to do?