Chapter 9

PART 2

Oliver's POV

As the meeting droned on I found myself staring off into space. They Council was going on about what was happening within the different clans. My dad hadn't been kidding about much of the Riken business being boring. I watched the old grandfather clock as it ticked and the discussion of the others faded into the background...

Flashback- three years before the treaty.

I was standing at the front of the large group of people. It was raining today as it had been the past two days. The weather matched the event. Sam sobbed into my shirt that was already soaked because I hadn't brought an umbrella and my father stood beside me, hand on my shoulder and tried his best to comfort me as we watched my grandfather's coffin lowered into the ground.

I refused to cry in front of everyone. In fact, I showed no emotion at all. I had cried by myself enough already. My grandfather wouldn't have wanted me to be upset this long. I looked up at my father who had tears quietly streaming down his face. My mother was on the other side of him and crying as well. 

This was the werewolves fault.

All of it. He'd been ambushed when he was heading to Sanctum  (the eastern vampire clan). He'd been in no mans land when an entire pack had jumped him. Humans had been helping them too, using guns to weaken him.

I hated them all. The only way that I could cope with the pain was to fill it with the deep and utter hatred I was feeling. Unknowingly, I began to glare at nothing, anger swelling inside of me. Part of me knew this was how wolves felt when one of their own was killed by a vampire, but I didn't care. I wanted nothing more than to kill the ones responsible for this. The two people I cared about most was my grandfather and Sam, and they'd taken one of them from me...      

My emotions were bubbling at a rate that I couldn't hold them down. I detached Sam from me and shrugged my dad's hand from my shoulder. As I turned to leave my mom spoke.

"Sweetheart, it's okay to be sad. It's okay to show how you feel."

I flashed away, despite her attempt to have me stay. I went until I felt my muscles begin to protest. They's be fine after a moments rest, but I decided to keep going. Finally I couldn't run anymore and stopped in the middle of a forest.

My shoulders shook and tears were already streaming down my face. A yell escaped me and I punched a tree as hard as I could. The tree crashed over and my knuckles were bleeding. I watched as they healed.

"Well I'm off. I love you Oliver. I'll see you in a week or two." 

My grandfather's words echoed in my head. If only I'd known....

I twisted and slammed my fist into another tree. My sobs weren't from pain. I was about to hit a third tree, but somehow my mental energy ran out. I put my hands on the tree, then my head as well and just stood there for a long time. Thunder boomed up above and the rain began coming down harder. After awhile I sunk to the ground and put my back against the tree.

I wasn't sure how long I'd been sitting there when I heard someone coming towards me from a distance. A human? The smell of blood was enough to get me on my feet. I hadn't had any blood since my grandfather's death almost three days ago and was only just now becoming aware of the fact that I was starving.

My flash was short lived as I found myself in front of a teenage girl no older than I was in human years(15). She was soaked to the bone and muddy. She had scrapes on her knees and elbows with a large cut on her head. Her blonde her was matted with blood, mud, and an assortment of leaves and twigs. She was small, and looked incredibly fragile. I was willing to bet she hadn't eaten in days. She didn't quite come up to my shoulder and my shear height only made her seem smaller.