Ajax mutters an obscene curse. "That is disgusting, Elle," he says as I turn back to them, his face flushing with anger. "Who the hell just burns someone's flesh to label them?"

Killian, however, remains silent. His caramel eyes stare back at me, wide and brimming with fear. He opens his mouth to speak, but closes it, shaking his head. Then, his eyes fall to his feet and he spins away, muttering an apology as he trudges down the tunnel.

Ruben and I exchange a look before glancing at Ajax. He furrows his brows, lips pressed together. He sighs, falling into step behind Killian. Ruben and I follow. After passing the dungeon, we arrive at the cavern door. The glow from inside outlines the doorframe, but the candle mounted to the wall is our only source of light.

"Alright," Ajax whispers, gesturing for us all to gather around. "You know the plan. When I unlock this door, you must tranquillise every single Tranq insight. Run across to the other side of the cavern, Ruben. Block the far door to stop more Tranqs from coming inside. When we disarm the Tranqs, we will take the prisoners back to the Convex Sector via the underground. Elle, you will take Aston back to your apartment. He will no doubt need medical attention."

"I'm ready," I say. My stomach churns into a knot, fear clawing its way up my throat.

"Good," Ajax nods, pulling his gun from his belt. We copy him, loading the mag with the darts.

"But, Elle," Ajax says, clicking a dart into place. "If you feel the need to use your sword, do not hesitate."

I nod, all the while, willing my hands to stop trembling with the gun. How am I supposed to aim when I cannot even control my hand?

Ruben must see me looking on the verge of losing it, as he smiles in encouragement. "We can do this, Elle. We will get Aston out of there."

"I know," I say, tightening my grip around the gun. "I'm ready."

We each exchange grim, encouraging nods. Then Ajax opens the door and the dull light from the cavern engulfs us. At once, Ajax darts in, followed by Killian, Ruben and I bring up the rear. There is a loud pop as a dart whizzes out of Killian's gun. It embeds itself in a Tranq who lets out a curse before he topples over all too soon. Killian and Ajax fire more darts and hit more Tranqs before they realise what is happening. The room becomes a cacophony of shouts and screams. Prisoners yell at one another as they scramble out of the line of fire. A Tranq nearby lunges towards me. He tries grabbing the gun from my hands. But I pull the trigger before he can, the bullet meeting his palm. He lets out a strangled grunt before slumping over. As I glance up, stunned, I catch Ruben sprinting at full pelt across the vast cavern. The Tranqs throw themselves towards Lord Sneya's son, knowing he's committing an act of rebellion. He wards them off, sending them all into a drug-induced unconscious.

I whip my head around, searching for Aston amongst the sea of prisoners. A deep, heart-wrenching panic rises in my throat, seizing my throat. Where is he? What if he is no longer here?

"Elle!"

I spin around and there he is. Aston gathers as many of the prisoners as he can into a carving in the pit, shielding them.

Tears spring to my eyes and I lunge forward, yelling his name. From the peripherals of my vision, I catch Ruben grind to a halt. "Flynn?"

Ruben stumbles forward, staring intensely at a boy ducked behind a cart of salt sacks. Dirt and blood streak his dark face, but I can tell that he not much older than Ruben.

His light eyes widen. "Ruben?"

The boy jumps to his feet from behind the cart of salt sacks and lunges forward to embrace Ruben. The door on the far side of the cavern bursts open. At least a dozen Tranquillity patrolmen march into the room, armed with rifles.

"Elle!" Aston yells. He leaps out of the pit and stumbles towards me. "Get out of the way!"

Then the Tranqs open fire. The bullets boom and reverberate as they empty from the barrels of the guns. Sickening shrieks fill my ears. Prisoners collapse to the ground, blood spilling from bullet wounds onto the ground. Fear stabs my heart, threatening to glue me to the spot, and I clamp my hands over my ears, buckling to my knees. I scream, terror fixing me in place.

Just as Aston reaches me, a bullet slams into his side and he grunts in agony.

"Aston!" I scream as he collapses to the ground, at last able to move. I fall beside him, red staining my vision as it leaks from the wound profusely. He slams a hand over it to stop the blood flow. But he bleeds through his fingers. I glance at his face. Colour drains from his cheeks and his eyes roll back. "Aston!" I grip his shoulders, shaking him. "Stay awake, Aston. Stay with me!"

"I'll be okay, Elle," he says as his eyes flutter closed and his head lolls to the side.

I gasp for air and my heart races beneath my chest. All the while, bullets meet their targets, only just missing me. I wildly glance up, finding Ruben amongst the cacophony, trying to usher as many people towards the back door as possible. Ajax also tries to herd the prisoners to the exit, while Killian clutches his shoulder. Blood runs from a bullet wound on Killian's leg.

I must get Aston out of here. Now. I stand and dig my hands under his shoulder, uplifting his heavy torso from the harsh stone and concrete floor. I drag Aston's limp, unconscious body towards the door. Ajax reaches it, and prisoners dart into the underground. Ruben follows close too. He and the boy he recognised shout at the prisoners, ushering them along to the door. All the while, people falling when bullets hit them. Sharp shrieks escape them before cutting off all too soon. The remaining prisoners escape out of the door as Ajax and Killian yell at them to move faster. Ruben and his friend sprint over to me, helping me lift Aston's body right off the ground. We move faster, jogging to the door. At last, we slip through, Ajax and Killian right behind us.

The door behind us slams closed, and the darkness of the tunnel swallows us as we narrowly escape with our lives.