Chapter 25

Ruben holds the back of the chair still, but my body trembles and I fear I will fall.

"Don't worry, I'll catch you," Ruben whispers as if he can hear my thoughts.

Several dozen Convex people pin their eyes on me, expecting something revolutionary to come out of my mouth. But I am just one person. What can I do to stop their children from starving? Or to stop the spread of disease? I cannot even form a sentence, let alone revolt against an empire, as Ruben believes. As I glance at him, he offers me an encouraging smile. I cannot help but be grateful for his presence. No one else is crazy enough for this. And somehow, he gives me courage.

"Can you speak, or not?" someone yells, jolting words out of me.

"Yes. I'm here to tell you about the disease that killed our ancestors 109 years ago," I begin, voice steadying as the words come.

"Lord Sneya claims the virus is making a comeback. People have been getting sick, the Convex in particular. More people are being shot. My cheeks flush red as an uproar of indignant agreements burst from the crowd. "No!" I raise my voice above them, waving my hands to get their attention again. "Ruben and I are not dating."

"We are friends," Ruben butts in from below me.

"Anyway," I drag the word out, getting back on track. "They have lied to us for hundreds of years. Lord Sneya has lied to us. We do not have a cure. But we have a vaccination. Our ancestors used vaccinations to prevent diseases. The Concaves receive it at birth. They are resistant to The Drown."

"Wait a moment, you say the Concaves are Red Leaves, like yourself?" a man in the front asks, his thick brows pulled together as he listens.

"Not quite. They gave them resistance. They were not born with it as I was," I say, offering a grim smile.

"That is not fair," the man says. His voice has risen in volume. "We scrape by every day only to gather a few coins to buy a loaf of bread. We live in damp, freezing places and our children rarely go to school. I'm terrified the virus will infiltrate drinking water. We must give up sick loved ones to the Tranqs. But there was prevention all this time?" The man is shouting now, his voice trembling with rage, words dripping with venom.

"I'm afraid that is the truth, Sir." I draw in a breath, collecting myself. "We need to stop this disease before it spreads and claims us again. It might win, but we cannot let it. We are Convex and we are strong. We need safety and we need health. I don't want you worrying about your children bringing home the First Cough."

"Why are you dating a Concave?" a voice from the crowd interrupts. "Isn't that contradicting yourself?"

An uproar, louder than the previous one, erupts from the Convex, angry shouts, protests, and profanities. Panic shoots through my nerves and I glance to Ruben for help. The Tranqs are never too far away.

"Everyone, shut up!" Ruben yells above the racket and at last, the noise dies, dozens of angry faces back on me.

"Of course, it's unfair that Sneya puts the Concaves first every time. We deserve safety too. It is why Ruben and I have brought something for you all tonight. We have brought a case of vaccinations. If you like, you can receive an injection. We want to administer it to as many Convex as possible."

"You say we can become resistant to the Drown tonight?" someone says from the front.

"That's right. Ruben and I have decided that in the name of fairness, children are first." I glance at Lia and give her a smile. "Women and men are next. Fair enough?"

There is a rumble of agreements, and they nudge Lia forward. I step off the chair and place the case on instead. Ruben reaches out to the young child with his hand. "Would you like to go first, Lia?" he says. His voice soft, eyes gleaming as he smiles.