"Yes of course." Daniel lifts the girl into a sitting position and Emmeline begins to spoon out some of the tea and gently feeds it to the girl. When the pot is empty she retrieves the basin of water that was brought up and dips the cloth into it. She returns to the bed and begins to dab the child's face and arms with the cool water.

"She will be alright my lord, you may rest her on the bed again." Daniel gently takes puts his daughter back on the bed. "She was able to drink the tea which is promising," Emmeline presses a hand to the girl's forehead, "but she is still warm. The only thing we can do is try is cool her body down." Emmeline gets another cloth and dips it into the water. She pats Matilda's body with it.

"How will the fever take to break?"

"She hasn't been ill for that long sir, which means we should be able to stop it. I do not believe it will break until the morning. Sir you should rest and I will alert you at the first sign of a breakthrough."

"I will not leave my child's side." Daniel sits next to the bed and reaches for his daughter's hand.

"Of course, my lord." The pair sit beside the bed as Emmeline continues to dab cool water on the girl.  "She's a fighter," Emmeline whispers, looking down at the girl, "she's got determination in her eyes. Can you see it my lord, between her eyebrows, 'tis crinkled meaning she's not giving up."

"That she is."

"You and your wife must be proud of her."

"She never got to know her." Daniel says remorsefully. "Her mother died when my girl was barely a year old."

"I am sorry my lord, forgive me." Emmeline says, becoming more attentive to the child.

"It is no secret miss. I know rumors have been flying since my return. It is to be expected I guess."

"You have come home to quite the small province my lord, nothing truly exciting ever happens here."

"And I was to be the prized pig at your ball tonight, correct? All eyes on the eligible Earl? I see you must've come from it." He replies, taking note of the gown under the apron Emmeline had hastily put on.

"Yes there was a bit of buzz going about the room regarding your arrival, although I assure you once people know of the circumstances they won't hold a grudge against you."

"I am not worried about that. I am sorry I took you away from all your suitors. I remember dances in this part of the country were rare."

"Think nothing of it my lord. Your daughter's health is far more important than a silly dance." Emmeline smiles down at the child.

"You're right, and you still have time before you must settle down. How old are you anyway miss?"

"I just turned twenty, and I assure you being the town's apothecary doesn't attract many suitors, not that I mind. Most men are intimidated by a strong mind. I believe they fear I shall poison them in their sleep if I become cross."

"Now that is a terrifying thought, but a mind is a decent thing to have. A woman with a good head on her shoulders is a rare thing, and I assure you it is much better than the opposite." He replies laughing quietly.

"You speak as if you have experience in both departments, my lord."

"Matilda's mother, my late wife, was a sweet woman but she lacked enough knowledge to have a passion about anything. I respected her of course but she was always quite simple." Daniel replies, deep in thought. "I am sorry miss. I am afraid my mouth has run away from me. I do not know why I am telling you this. I hardly know you."