Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

"You always told me no one escaped twice. What I shame I played you," I say proudly, watching Kaden's dark eyes narrow.

He reaches up suddenly, griping my chin almost painfully. Almost.

"I have a riddle for you..."

Here we go. The riddle I was supposed to get an answer for. Now I am on my own to decode it. My heart falls at the thought.

He stands up straight, glancing casually at Coen. The fake Guard stands still, watching with curious eyes. Just looking at him makes me want to gag.

"An unfortunate soul, can spin quite a tale.
Words weaved like a needle, with string like fire.
Cracks between the lines are memories;
a pair of eyes, she admires, the holder.
Blessed with one, but not granted solitude.
Living in fear, such a novelty.
Creating it, a hobby."

He lets out a deep breath, as he finishes. Caught in his gaze, I see a flicker of sympathy, but he smoothes it over with a calm facade in a second.

What will he do to me if I fail to answer correctly?

Pushing the thought from my mind, I try concentrate on the riddle. Instantly, I had a few answers swimming around my mind, which is a better start than the last riddle I failed to answer.

An unfortunate soul, can spin quite a tale.

At first, I thought of myself. I am in an unfortunate situation, that's for sure. But I discard the idea, as I am the worst at spinning a tale.

Next, I consider the brothers. Kace, Coen, Kaden. Each is unfortunately good liars, and have undergone terrible feats in their lives. The next line also relates to their abilities to curtain this place from my eyes.

Cracks between the lines are memories;
A pair of eyes, she admires, a holder.

Instantly, I shun Kace from the riddle.

Coen, though...Once, I sought friendship, trust and a refugee within his eyes. Despite the memories and lies he hides.

Kaden. His eyes, I always use to read his emotions. The pain of his past, and present express the riddles line before me.

Blessed with one, but not granted solitude.

Coen, who lost his mate. Kaden, who can't be with his mate, just yet.

My head begins to hurt.

Living in fear, such a novelty.

Coen must fear his life...Living with out a mate can potentially be deadly over a long period of time. Kaden, of course, fears for his parents lives.

Creating it, a hobby.

What am I to do? Both men radiate fear.

Kaden raises an eyebrow speculatively. He awaits an answer I am unsure about. This means I will be forced to go with what my guy insists is the answer.

"You. You're the answer."

Kaden pauses for a moment, then he slyly smiles.