Chapter Five

Clara stared in wonderment at her new room. A proper room. Not a dumpy, musty old basement underneath the house where dust gets clogged in her lungs. An actual room with furniture, on the same floor as the other pack members. She could've died by excitement right now but she thought better of it. Dying at this moment would mean that all her life's struggles were nothing and she knew it was more than just nothing. She worked hard for this.

Xander dumped her shopping bags onto the carpet floor.

"Th-thank you," Clara whispered.

Xander merely grunted. She always found these sounds that he made to be interesting. The Alpha has countless times asked if she can speak and now here he is, utilising simple sounds to communicate with her.

He was what you call a hypo- no, wait. Hypocry- no... Hippos kite???

It was something along the lines of that but Clara was just unable to recall it off the top of her mind. She heard a pack member who was a woman say that to a man. The woman claimed that he didn't care about her because he was too busy 'fucking around' with other 'bitches' and letting them 'suck him off'.

Clara assumed that those were bad things but unfortunately, her lack of education prevented her from understanding what the woman meant.

"Rogue! Are you ignoring me, mutt?!" The Alpha yelled angrily.

The girl shook her head clear off her thoughts and focused her attention to Xander who was less than a little bit unhappy...

"S-sorry Alpha," Clara apologised immediately, in fear of punishments.

"Whatever. If you didn't hear what I said, which you clearly didn't because you're obviously deaf, I asked you on why you didn't defend yourself. Didn't your wolf get angry when they attacked you?" Xander inquired curiously. "Not that I care or anything. Just curious," he quickly added.

Of course the Alpha didn't know her secret. No one except her ex-pack knows her secret. It was one of the many reasons she was treated badly. She was a freak in the werewolf community.

The truth was, she's human. She does not have a wolf nor can she shift like a normal werewolf so she was as good as human.

"I-I do not have a wolf. I can not shift either," Clara answered nervously.

Clara reminded herself to stop stuttering at the start of sentences. She wanted to seem strong, not scared.

The Alpha was surprised. Well, she thinks he was surprised anyway. His eyes widened and his eyebrows raised for a split second before they returned back to their stoic position.

"Pfft, of course not. You're more of a freak than I thought," he spat before walking out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Despite the insult which was meant to hurt, she instead was intrigued by this Alpha. One minute, he was nice. He even complimented her by saying that the dress would look nice on her. Next minute, he was grumpy because of the register lady. Then he saved her from getting beaten to death by a bunch of human boys. And now, he's gotten all moody.

Clara thought that it was her job to act like that considering the time of month thing. Although werewolves had their perks, unfortunately, it does not stop the menstrual cycle.

Luckily, she currently was not bleeding. Though she was not looking forward to next week because that was when Satan would come and stab her uterus. That would be quite an awkward talk to have with the Alpha.