Chapter Thirty-Six.

MEG:

It was the thirteenth of February and I ran about in my bedroom anticipating Christine's arrival. Mother was preparing a meal for us and I cleaned up the bed opposite mine. I had so many questions for her - the first one being why on Earth she chose to marry that maniac. But then I thought more - what if I caught the bouquet? What that meant was amazing, but who would it be for myself? I tried to avoid that - to be more innocent, like Christine, but I couldn't help but smile at the idea of a marriage.

I heard mother setting down plates and glasses and hurried along with the bed. I had dressed the bed perfectly, with the legs properly covered and the comforter folded down to an angle. Everything was picture perfect for my great friend, "Meg!"

I obeyed my mother and rushed downstairs. She had one end of the tablecloth in her hand, "Help me adjust this, please."

"Of course."

I grabbed the other end and pulled the cloth flat, mother smiling at me with a nod of approval. It felt good to do things right and then, the guest of honor knocked on the door. I straightened my gown and mother went to open the door, but I had to stop myself from fainting again when I saw... him. He handed mother what I assume was her wedding attire and I could hear the last of their conversation, "Make sure she is well taken care of."

"Erik, I know what to do. Believe me."

"Alright. Well, the wedding will be in Notre Dame. I have made sure we are allowed the utmost privacy in this engagement and the only ones there shall be Harrison, Christine's bridesmaids and Nadir. You, as well."

"Who will give her away?"

"Nadir is acting as both. Remember, no later than one."

"Of course. Goodnight, Erik."

I heard a kissing sound and then Christine came in to greet me with a hug. I felt movement return to my limbs and embraced her in return, "I'm glad I have the privilege of staying with you and Madame," she said with a smile, "It will be just like old times."

"Come on, you two," mother laughed, "Supper is ready."

I sat beside Christine at our round table and we said a short prayer before passing food around. Supper was a short, friendly time where talk was small, "So, Christine," mother began, "Are you very excited for the wedding tomorrow? It is quite a big day in a girl's life."

"I suppose," she shrugged, "I am afraid for the aftermath, really. I haven't a clue what to do."

"Just lie back think of music, dear."

I wasn't aware of the conversation they were having until I really paid attention - that was about the honeymoon. I knew all about it from the ballet rats, but they had only said so much. It was wrong, but I was excited for that part of marriage, "You remember how they described it, Christine. It is a fun experience, really."

"Meg, please, let's change the topic."

I stayed silent until we began cleaning dishes. The chore went by quickly and I went with Christine so she could fetch her bag, "Have fun, ladies," mother said, "But not too much fun. Christine has to start getting ready at nine."

"Yes, mother."

Christine smiled at me and we went up to my room to change into nightgowns. Christine sat on the bed once she was fully dressed, glancing around at the room. The windows were open, letting in the ice cold winter breeze, and she stood up to close and lock them, "Christine?"

"Yes?"

I tapped nervously on my hand, "Why have chosen to marry him? Whatever happened to Raoul?"

She looked at me just as nervously as I was, sinking into my bed beside me, "I saw Raoul with naked woman last month. I believe his brother had been trying to get him a bride who offered herself readily."

"You are supposed to give yourself to your husband, Christine."

She nodded, "That, I know. But I couldn't stop thinking of Erik and it made feel awful. Raoul and I weren't even married yet."

"Oh."

She nodded, looking down at her bag with a smile, "Now, let us just have fun. This will be my last night as a free woman, after all," I nodded and pulled her gown and veil from the closet, stitching up the bottom, "I had to make the train longer since we'll be having it at Notre Dame."

She set the dress and veil aside, then gathering five pink gowns that had been inside the wedding gown. Christine smiled softly at me, giving me a pink gown, "Emilia, Augustine, Rachel, and Victoria will be here tomorrow, right?"

"Yes. Mother has sent for them. She also sent for the young boy Pierre so he could hold your train and be the ring bearer."

"Good."

She hung the other four dresses and we sat together on the floor, Christine opening her bag. She pulled out two white nail lacquers from her bag and we began to paint our nails. I thought fondly of our time together as children and a question came to mind rather quickly, "It may be rather sudden, but have you ever thought of having children?"

Christine giggled, painting her small left finger, "I have a few times. But I'm not sure. At least I am not certain with Erik - with how he would feel, I mean."

I nodded and began to paint my other hand, Christine just finishing her other one, "Do you think you'll catch the bouquet, Meg?"

I laughed, painting my middle finger, "I hope so. I would like to marry some day."

Christine took off her lace stockings and began to paint her toes, smiling at my comment, "Do you hope to be a mother, as well?"

"I suppose. Having children is quite a large responsibility."

"Yes. But it is nothing compared to the men's jobs," she laughed sarcasticly and I smiled at her comment, "Some men do have it harder than us, though."

"Of course," I shook my head, finishing my hands just as Christine had finished her toes - the clock then struck eleven, "Oh, it is getting late. Come, we should get to bed after we have dried."

"Of course."